Oliver + S

Front Bow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Rachel Furlong @MrsRachel

I am planning on sewing a Fairy Tale dress for my daughter’s Easter dress. She wants view A, but she also wants a big bow . . . in the front. Is there any reason why just adding ties to the side seams and tying a bow in front wouldn’t work? Although, I’m thinking it would it look better if the sash went around the back too . . . should it be attached in the zipper seam and then tacked down on the sides? Thoughts?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’d probably more inclined to make a separate bow and attach it only via thread chain belt loops at the side seams. That way it can easily be removed for cleaning and pressing, etc. But it sort of depends on the type of bow you’re thinking of, too. You certainly could do it as you suggested as well!

LINK
    Rachel Furlong @MrsRachel

Decisions, decisions! Thank you for your help!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I think you’re right that you need something at the back. It would look quite odd if a sash came forward from the side seams but the back was bare. Somehow it works the opposite way 😉
    If you use a cotton and have a full sash it will be heavy and I’d worry it will sag at the front – unless you tie it quite tight!
    You certainly could put the back sash pieces on the front, then have short pieces on each side at the back, but then all that chopping up of the sash at side and back seams may look really weird.
    Not helping yet, right?…. 🙂

Would your daughter consider this compromise: the view A narrow belt, with a bunch of Dior Roses (there’s a tutorial on the blog) and a couple of mini bows. Almost like a corsage on the belt.
    You could even make a matching headband with Dior Roses on it.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

My daughter used to prefer front sashes as it is more comfortable when sitting. Like already suggested…I’d make a separate sash, thread chains on sides, and put a safety pin at the bow to keep from sagging.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.