Oliver + S

French seam on gathered sleeve?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

I am sewing with a lovely cotton voile and have used all French seams so far as they are neat and not too heavy. I seem to remember someone saying you can do French seams on sleeves. I have on a raglan style sleeve but would it work on a gathered set in sleeve? What should I be careful of when constructing it? I want to avoid any unpicking! Any words of wisdom, tutorials or vids you could share or point me to?

Thanks so much.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I’ve done it! I press very carefully.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

There’s a good Grainline tutorial for french seamed sleeves:
    http://grainlinestudio.com/2014/04/28/french-all-your-seams/

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I do it all the time. However, on a really very poofy sleeve, it can get too bulky. What pattern are you working with?

As for tips, it’s not that much different than a regular French seam. I tend to use a lot of hand basting when I set sleeves, particularly tiny ones. I also feel I get a better finish with French seams when they’re set in the round rather than flat.

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

I did it (on the lisette market blouse) And I am happy. Thanks for the encouragement to give it a go. I often lack confidence to tackle these things.

After thinking I decided to add a gathering row to the first pass area so I had three rows of gathering. Then when I pinned the first time I made sure I pinned the final stitching line and that it all was flush. Other than that normal French seam deal. Yes I did it in the round as I had already French seamed the sides when I asked.

Here it is, inside out and from the back. I am in love with the neat finish! This voile is lovely to sew even if it’s a tad slippery.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Kerrilyn. Reason: To add photo
    LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

perfect!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Really lovely.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

SO satisfyingly neat and tidy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.