Oliver + S

Flipping the skirt inside out, athliesure version of a city stroll

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Abbie @abbie.defiel

Hi, I just started making the city stroll skirt.

I’m using a stretchy fabric to make the skirt an athliesure version since I’m planning on wearing it for the first day of school teaching physical education. I cut out an extra for the skirt pattern so that it could be double thick. I’d like to skip the hem on the bottom and instead sew the skirt together and flip it out so that the bottom seam is the joint pieces of fabric. I’m at the first pockets part of the skirt though and I’m not sure what I should do about them if I want to flip it inside out.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Let me get this right, you’re not planning on the skirt being reversible are you? If yes, the you need to consider leaving the pockets off.
    If not, then construct the outer skirt and pockets as per the instructions, then construct your skirt lining. You need to have made the lining pieces so that they don’t have pockets. If you’re unsure of how to adjust the pattern piece for a lining and “fill in” that pocket area then take a look at the tutorial on the blog for lining the Soho Shorts/skirt.
    Then, simply sew the skirt and lining together around the hem edge. I’d understitch then turn and press. Then attach the waistband as per the pattern instructions.
    Does that make sense? Apart from the joining at the hem it will be the same order of sewing and same lining pattern adjustment as that lining tutorial.
    Sounds like a fun skirt.

LINK
    Abbie @abbie.defiel

It makes sense. I’m not trying to make it reversible. Unfortunately I already cut out the fabric with the pocket holes on both pieces. I will put together a one layer skirt and see if I can either sew some of the fabric scraps back onto the lining to fill the pockets or hack the lining on in a different way, or ditch the lining all together. I will always have leggings on under the skirt anyway since I plan on wearing it for sport. Thanks for your help!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve had to do that before. 😉
    A little join in your lining won’t matter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.