Oliver + S

Fira dress…please help with yoke instructions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Wonderly @Wonderly

Hi! I would really appreciate some help figuring out the steps for preparing the yoke for the Fira dress pattern.

This is the first dress pattern I have ever tackled. So, much of the construction process is new to me. I am making a muslin, and I have made it as far as step 4 of the yoke preparation steps. Now I am super confused.

I don’t exactly understand what is supposed to happen to the folded part that is pinned to the top of the second yoke. I see it is supposed to be pinned, but I don’t see instructions for sewing it together. Is this missing in the instructions?

I am lost.

Thanks in advance!

LINK
    Wonderly @Wonderly

Well, I basted the 1/2 inch bottom and tops of the outer yoke and pressed those spots. Then I sewed the neckline and sleeve edges as instructed.

Oddly, my sleeve edges met accurately but the yoke fronts extended beyond them. I trimmed them to match the yoke backs. I don’t know if that was the right thing to do.

I am so frustrated. I wish there was a sew along or directions with additional pictures.

I do not believe this is a beginner pattern as advertised.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Wonderly, is this where you are?

4. Keeping the edges of the outer yoke folded, align and pin it to the yoke lining (the unfolded yoke) with right sides together. Stitch the neckline and the sleeve edges with a 1/2″ seam, backstitching or lockstitching at both ends. [LG adds: this is where you’re sewing the two yokes together at ONLY the neckline and the sleeve edges. Leave the top and bottom of the yokes open so they can be attached to the dress itself in the next steps.]

5. Trim the stitched seam allowances to 1/4″. Turn the yoke right-side out and finger-press the edges, rolling the seams slightly toward the inside (the yoke without the folded seam allowances). Press the stitched edges with an iron to finish them.

I’m attaching two photos that may help? They weren’t meant for sharing so they’re sewn with navy fabric, which isn’t the easiest to see. Maybe this will help? I’ll check in again soon to see where you are.

Attachments:
    LINK
    Wonderly @Wonderly

Thank you so very much. The photographs absolutely help. I appreciate it!

LINK
    Wonderly @Wonderly

Once again, thank you for posting the pictures!

It would be wonderful to see a sew-a-long about the Fira dress.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.