Oliver + S

FBA for Maritime — how important?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Has anybody made this? I usually make an 8 plus 3/4 in FBA in the woven patterns. Could I get away with a straight 8 in a knit?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Hi Sarvi, I’ve made this top twice now in knit and done some kind of FBA each time. But I add 1 1/4″, not 3/4″. I did a traditional FBA, but because of the drape of the knit, the dart ended up under my bust.

That didn’t answer your question. I think it depends on how stretchy your knit is. It’s a fun sew, reminds me of the sailboat top.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

THanks Robin!

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

I am planning to make one of these Maritime tops in Knit. Did anyone decide if a FBA is needed?
    Oh, my measurements are 32 high, 36 mid?, and 30 low (right under the bust, rib cage I guess). Just because I love having my measurements floating around on the internet.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Cat75.
    LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@cat75 I’ll preface my response by saying I have no bust so haven’t done so myself, but I suspect you should.
    It’s a top with a moderately wide neckline and a dropped shoulder. If you go with your full bust size you might find the whole thing too saggy sack like.
    With a decent high/full bust difference if you fit to your high bust/shoulder it may pull across your bust, depending on how much/little stretch your fabric has.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think it depends on your fabric, too. But yes, if you have a 4″ difference between your high and regular bust measurements, I’d think you’ll probably want to do a FBA.

I’m working on a peplum top from this pattern right now. I’m using a very drapey woven fabric, so I’ve gone up 4 sizes to get an oversized look. But I think if I had a fuller bust (I’m a small B cup) I’d still do a FBA. Everything hangs better when you get a nice fit through the shoulders and bust.

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

Thanks Lightning and Liesl, I guess I will do the FBA. I have never done a knit shirt for myself before. It should be fun sewing. I hope.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Practice the dart with some scraps before you sew it! You might want a little stabilizer, too, depending on your fabric.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I made this top and normaly have to do a FBA on all my dreses and tops but on this pattern I did not have to and love the fit. I guess because of the knit fabric? I am very happy with the over all fit of this one. I hope go get pictures posted soon but I still have yet to get my skirt sewn to match.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.