Oliver + S

Fairytale bodice fitting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I’m working on the fairy tale for my daughter. A straight size five bodice muslin is sitting slightly higher in the front than the back. Anyone that has made it want to comment?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35277885@N06/8699700490/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35277885@N06/8698565361/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35277885@N06/8699702802/in/photostream/

Will the weight of the skirt pull this down? or do in need to take the back up? Or adjust the front?

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Looking at the photos I think it may be fine. I’m wondering if because her shorts are sitting below her belly a bit it looks more off than it really is. I’m sure someone w/ a bit more sewing knowledge will chime it. I tend to be of the “wing it” method, so I’m not always a lot of help.

Jane

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Here’s a trick I use on myself a lot: make an elastic waistband (just a loop of elastic) and put it on her. That way you can see what’s really horizontal, and the placement of the elastic will help you to determine whether to add length or subtract length from anywhere. At that point you can just make any necessary adjustments to the bottom edge of the bodice pieces. If you need to add length to the front, just blend it from the side seam to the center from so it’s a gentle curve. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, however; with kids clothing, I always think it’s sort of cute if the dress goes up in the front a bit. It’s how they’re built, right?

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Jane – you bring up a good point. Those shorts are from last summer and pretty darn tight in the waist. I didn’t even think about that making her seem distorted.

Liesl – That is a genius tip! So much easier on a wiggly kindergardener. I’ll do that tomorrow afternoon.

Also, thanks for the reassurance…I figured I was over thinking it. I’m planning on making the dress once first before using precious fabric as I have a bit of zipper anxiety anyway. But, I have an awesome liberty lawn with a horizontal stripe that (I think) is just asking to become a fairy tale dress. I’ll be holding my breath working with it and want to get things perfect before cutting.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Sometimes little girls have a tiny sway back. Add that to the scrumptious toddler bellies and it may ride up a bit. However, this is so minimal I think the weight of the skirt will pull it down. I agree that it’s cut on a little girl when the front rides up a bit. I wouldn’t make the alterations here that I might on the same issues for myself.

LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

This dress has the easiest zipper installation I have done. If you have an invisible zipper foot… it is a breeze!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Agreed, sway back + belly is a classic toddler shape, and super adorable, though I think your kiddo is a bit bigger than that, isn’t she, M-C?

I’ll be trying that elastic tip as well, that sounds great.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.