Oliver + S

Fairy Tale sizing help? Skip the darts?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    totterwalker @totterwalker

Me again. My daughter’s dress turned out so well that I offered to make matching dresses for my nieces (who are also flower girls in my brother’s wedding). The catch: They both live two provinces away and there is no time to send a muslin back for fitting.

One of my nieces’ measurements are:

28″ for waist & chest

Should I make her a size 12 and skip the darts? Will that give enough room in the waist?

The other niece:

24 1/2″ chest
    23″ waist

Should I make size 7 even though it might be a bit roomy in the chest or make size 6 and skip the darts?

I’m not concerned about the hip measurement because I’ve basically turned skirt into peplum and using tulle. Pic of my daughter’s dress to show as example:

Or is this all too risky and I should go with plan B – buy the girls matching bodysuits and make three LTTS tutus?

Attachments:
    LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

The best thing to do is probably to measure the flat pattern across the waistline. Without the darts will it give a big enough waistline?
    It would be lovely to do them the same as your first.
    I’m wary of the LTTS tutu as wedding attire due to the potential gap at the back. The apron style is perfect for dress ups but would not be a good look in church!

LINK
    Maggie @Magonomics

I’ve always skipped the darts when making this dress and it’s always turned out fine (and been extra comfortable). Maybe she could send you something that fits well?

LINK
    totterwalker @totterwalker

It worked out! I skipped the darts but should have shortened the bodice but it was fine in the end. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Attachments:
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yay! I’m glad you went for it, doesn’t it feel great to try something big?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.