Oliver + S

Fabric shops in NYC/Brooklyn?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

We are going to Brooklyn/NYC for spring break this year, and I am wondering if anyone who lives there or has visited there has any tips on which fabric shops to visit. Must start saving now…. 🙂

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Oh boy. Start saving now is right! You must hit Purl in Soho. I also love Pins and Needles on the Upper East Side. These both have “designer fabrics,” Liberty, and cute atmospheres. I go to B&J Fabrics in midtown west for basics, and a huge selection of Liberty. Also have heard good things about Brooklyn General, and Mood.

Buttons and notions are worthwhile to check out. I love Tender Buttons on upper east side (except for mean staff) or M&J Trimming on 6th ave.

If you need other nearby family friendly destinations to persuade your clan to hit any of these spots let me know and I can give you a cover! (I.e. Bryant park carousel near B&J, Met Museum near Pins and Needles) “Oh, since we’re in the area, let me just pop into this fabric store!” Not that I’ve done that or anything…… 😉

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

Mood and B&J are very close to each other. I also like Pacific Trimming, which is steps away. I will also stop to get a lemonade and sandwich at the closest Pret.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I’d want to visit here:

http://www.mokubany.com

🙂

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

Mokuba ribbons are beautiful! there is also a Marimekko store near Madison Square Park that sells yardage. While there you can grab something to eat at Shake Shack in the park or gelato/pizza/sandwiches.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh, Makuba!! If you want your mind to be blown in sticker shock, definatley stop there! I bought exactly one yard of exquisite rosebud trim. I figured I could hand stitch in on something , remove as she outgrows and them attach it to something else. At least that’s how i justified the purchase. It’s still hanging up in my sewing space and has become more of a decor item. There is also gray line linen, with a good selection and reasonable prices. B and J is heavenly, but I think pricier than Mood. Gertie always talks about Parons I think, but I didn’t make it there last trip. You’d think I would be in NYC all the time, but it’s shocking how infrequently I go these days. In college, I used to go every single weekend. Of course, I had a boyfriend at NYU at the time. 🙂 it’s harder to get away for the day with three little ones and all their stuff.

Purl is a cant miss, of course, except that even their newer “big” store is tiny and doesn’t have as much as their website. But at least you can see all the Liberty for yourself. It’s more of a fabric tourist stop than real heavy duty shopping. Not that you can blow some serious cash. So, yeah, save up now for the whole trip. And have fun!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

there is literally two blocks’ worth of fabric stores: between 7th and 8th Avenues on 38th and 39th. Depending on what you’re looking for you will find trims and notions as well. I like Pacific Trimming.

If you are into the designer cottons, check out City Quilter on 25th between 6th and 7th; they also have a quilt gallery and a decent selection of laminates.

Spring break is in March right? I’d offer to accompany you but I don’t know my family’s plans yet…

LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

Thank you all so much for the tips, I am looking forward to our trip even more! I think that my NY souvenir will end up being fabric! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.