Oliver + S

Fabric questions re Liberty, HR and Kokka

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

I have a few questions re a few fabrics that I own or would like to own 🙂

I bought some Liberty cotton on a whim and now I’m not really sure what it is. It feels odd to me – very smooth and tightly woven.. almost silky. I was under the impression that lawn would be more airy. Is there a chance that mine isn’t the popular Tana Lawn and is something else? It doesn’t smell like silk and was marked as cotton but I don’t know how to tell for sure. I’ve been searching on the internet and the closest I can find is this: http://www.calicoandivy.com/product523/detail/ – same design but mine has purple and pink flowers.

I’d love to know what this is, if it can go in the washer and dryer and what it’s like to sew with. Anyone know much about Liberty?

Now Heather Ross… I love the look and reviews of the double gauze but, wow, the prices. I think the unicorn was over $20/yd on Etsy. Is the HR double gauze normally expensive at retail or are the popular designs marked-up since it’s scarce? I wasn’t sewing when the last designs were released and just read that new designs are planned for the spring – yah!

Finally, some of my current favorites are by Kokka Trefle. Anyone know what the “Trefle” means? Is it the designer, a collection or something else? I think I’ve been bitten by the Japanese fabric bug and I’d love to learn if more Trefle will be released 🙂

(those are some of my spurges – most of my fabric comes from Ikea)

Thanks for helping!

LINK
    maremelade @maremelade

I can only answer to the liberty part of your questions. what you describe is definitely liberty tana lawn which is 100% cotton. It can be machine washed and dried.

I love to sew with liberty even if it remains a luxury given the price. It’s a delight to cut and to sew.

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Hi

Yes, you have the tana lawn. People often comment that it is silky.

In my experience double-gauze is expensive. Here is Australia I have never seen it for less than $30/metre.

I have often wondered the same thing about Kokka/Trefle. I wish I had an answer for you. Perhaps someone else will know. One thing i do know is that Trefle branded fabric is released regularly. Check out Superbuzzy if you like Japanese fabric 😉

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Ooh, apparently Trefle is ‘A gorgeous French inspired collection of prints ranging from classical to whimsical. ‘

LINK
    janimal @janimal

Ooooh – you’re talking my language!

I throw my Liberty fabric in the wash, hot water, and high heat dryer. I haven’t noticed much shrinkage at all and it comes out just lovely. It’s dreamy to sew with. I just made my daughter a dress with it and made her a pillowcase out of the leftover fabric. It’s amazing it feels like silk, right?!

The best price I’ve found (which I learned in these forums) is to buy from Shaukat http://www.shaukat.co.uk/ – even with the exchange rate it’s cheaper than buying from other stores that stock it here in the US.

I have bought cotton lawn from other companies. I recently bought one by Alexander Henry (from Whipstitch Fabrics) and am happy to report that it is similiar in quality to the Liberty stuff. Yay!

And as for Kokka – I have a few vendors I buy from that stock Kokka. Both of my favorites are here in Atlanta. If you sign up for their newsletters you will get coupons. http://www.someartfabric.com – a few weeks ago they sent me a coupon so I stocked up on some Kokka fabric. Prices are $8.50-$9.50 per half yard. Also selling Kokka is http://www.whipstitchfabrics.com. There is a new line coming out from Kokka called Ruby Star Rising that I am just waiting for Whipstitch to get in stock so I can buy it. Whipstitch emailed me a coupon yesterday!

One other thing on japanese fabric – I bought a couple yards of a print by Olympus at Purl Soho in NYC. The fabric is such a lovely weight and such a nice hand to it. I’m thinking I may use it for the school photo dress. So check out Olympus fabrics too!

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

hi, thanks so much for your replies!

Ok…. I have Liberty lawn then. I paid $14/yd at Mood so I’m happy about that. Thanks for letting me know it can be washed normally – phew! Does anyone have a favorite O+S pattern to use with Liberty?

Thanks for the description re Trefle – I certainly like the whimsical. I bought the mini reindeer and a sort of Scandi red riding hood from Superbuzzy and love them. I’m thinking about buying another miniature pattern for myself and make a skirt to wear with leggings. thanks janimal for all the resources. There’s nothing super close to me that sells Kokka and I really prefer internet shopping. When I visited Purl’s site I saw something called Yuwa and added that to my wish list 🙂

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Aegean the Music Class blouse is lovely in Liberty.

That Shaukat site is dangerous. My poor little credit card.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

great suggestion! thank you – I hadn’t put the two together

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

“That Shaukat site is dangerous. My poor little credit card. “

After a visit to Shaukat, and then to Raystitch, my cc is playing a sad trombone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.