Oliver + S

Fabric for Lining

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    sjpostus @sjpostus

I am a bit stuck trying to figure out what sort of fabric to use for the lining. The only “quilted” fabrics I am finding are cotton broadcloth w/ a thin batting. I’m planning on making the coat from wool melton, but I am still concerned that this lining will not be warm enough. If you’ve made this coat, what fabric did you use for the lining, and WHERE did you get it?? Thanks! 🙂

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

For the actual lining (what would be attached to the wool melton) I just used a quilter’s cotton. But the quilted vest, etc… I quilted (using a walking foot making diagonal lines) a quilter’s cotton to a plainly-colored fleece then used that to cut the vest pattern out from.

LINK
    npultorak @npultorak

Good question, I’d like to use a quilted, coat lining and not make a removable vest. Our climate doesn’t warrent it. Wondering if this will work, since the lining is much heavier than what the pattern calls for.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey everyone, I just had a brainstorm (?) last night. Here’s what I found: 3M Thinsulate!

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/product.php?productid=865&cat=0&page=1

I’ve just ordered enough for S’s winter coat. You’ll notice that in the description on the website they refer to this as an “underlining.” In other words, this goes between the lining and the exterior fabric. I’ll let you know how it works! I’m guessing that I’ll stitch it separate from the lining and then sandwich it between the lining and the coat when I attach the lining, maybe tacked at the seams?

I was inspired by Nigrofrog, who used Themolam (I’m not sure what that is, anyone know for sure?) for her lining:

IMG_4232

Keep your fingers crossed. Thinsulate is not supposed to be bulky, so I’ll be curious to receive my order.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Liesl- Do you mind sharing how your 3M thinsulate experiment worked, I'm going to attempt coats for the boys this fall and got my pendelton wool coating at a recent sew expo! Yummy! I would like to try the thinsulate or some other quilted lining without the vest to make a warm winter coat. Katja

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Katja,

I did a blog post about this a little while ago. You can read it here:

http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2009/12/her-new-winter-coat.html

Let me know if you have any questions about it–I found that it was quite easy to sew.

Cheers,

Liesl

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Thanks- I had seen your finished coat but hadn't found your instructions! Very glad it worked out and also good to know the vogue fabrics thinsulate is super poofy….might not need that in seattle where we never dip below 30! Katja

LINK
    ccnigro @ccnigro

Nigrofrog here ;0) My daughter got through a whole season with the jacket and it held up beautifully. I purchased the Termolam from Joann Fabrics in CT. DON’T use fusible, just the regular version. It provided warmth but not bulk. I am going to make another jacket for next year for my daughter as well exactly as I did it this year, only bigger. I used standard coat lining (satin on one side, matte on the other). Similar is “Kasha Satin, Flannel back” for the coat body and hot pink silk fabric for the hood and pocket, simply for the color pop.

Here’s Joann’s write up on the thermolam: – A needlepunched fleece with a protective scrim to interline garments for warmth and to make shoulder pads, sleeve heads, quilts and craft items.

This was a terrific pattern -the only modifications I made were adding the zipper and the thermolam. Thanks Leisl!

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Liesl- I am making all three boys duffle coats for winter (not using your pattern- sorry…already had an ottobre with all three sizes in it!) but that one calls for the toggles with attached leather triangles which seem to be impossible to find. I am wondering if you would divulge how you did the toggles on your coat which doesn’t require the attached leather triangles. I am wondering if I can add that detail to my coats which I plan on using wool melton from pendleton, the thermolam for underlining or something similar and a cotton print inside. Thanks in advance- Katja

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Katja, our toggles are sewn into a seam. It’s a very easy and neat way to attach them. You can see photos of finished coats if you look at the website–click on the photos for a larger view.

Best wishes with making three of them! That will be quite an accomplishment!

Cheers,

Liesl

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Thanks again Liesl, I will try and find a way to modify my pattern to include a seam along the front, and keep praying that I find the toggles with leather trim somewhere!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Liesl, I’m assuming that you did not include the back pleat in the Thinsulate layer? I’ve got my Thermolam on the cutting table ready to go and I’m trying to decide exactly how to cut it.

I think I’m going to cut the back with the basting line on the fold so that I don’t include the pleat, and then cut the front lining piece and edge stitch it to the facing as you described in your post. I’m actually having a really difficult time visualizing that part but hopefully it will make sense when I get there.

I wanted to follow the directions in the article you referenced, but I’m really not sure how to handle the front of the coat with that method.

LINK
    Anonymous @

violetvata – here are some toggles in the style you are searching for: http://www.mjtrim.com/catalog/product/123206/15856/15856.aspx

LINK
    Anonymous @
    LINK
    Anonymous @

oooh – this one might be perfect for you…

http://cgi.ebay.com/10x-Brown-Sharks-Tooth-Toggle-Buttons-Garment-Coat-NEW-/250627935658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Can you tell I’m shopping for toggles tonight?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.