Oliver + S

fabric choices

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’ve seen this on Flickr in wool and cordoroy, which looks lovely. I’ve also seen a few done in a more formal style. Has anyone tried voile? For an Easter dress looking thing? Do you have thoughts on how that would work?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I believe I saw a version of this in voile, that was also fully lined — let me see if I can find the link. The person who made it very kindly showed me how she did the skirt lining, so I should have it stored here someplace.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Aha! it was the lovely freyiris: http://www.flickr.com/photos/freyiris/5065942509/

LINK
    janimal @janimal

I made one using Liberty of London Tana Lawn – nice and light fabric. I think it is a lovely dress. I sewed View A, as I think the pleats are great to give lighter fabrics some fullness. If I were using a heavier fabric, I probably would done View B.

I have a few pics. Here’s a link and you can see the others in my photostream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8068290@N08/5280612640/

(Keep in mind I made the dress in a 3T for my daughter who actually should be wearing a 2T. I made it for her to wear when the weather gets warmer so it was too big when she modelled it for the photo. There was a fashion show at her school and I couldn’t resist putting it on her despite it being too big.)

If I say so myself, it’s prettier in person than it shows in pictures.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

It’s awfully pretty in the pictures, too!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for the input and examples. It seems this dress can look casual or downright dressy all depending on fabric choice. It probably would need a lining with voile, which would add to the dressiness. But a plain ivory voile would be inexpensive.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.