Oliver + S

Enlarging Puppet Show?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    ThirdMargaret @ThirdMargaret

I love the Puppet Show pattern for my youngest, but she measures around an 8. I have thought about adapting another pattern, but I am spoiled be the O & S directions and detail. If you’ve made the shorts, how hard do you think it would be to enlarge the pattern? She is very slim, but tall. Whatcha think? Thanks!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Honestly?

Don’t.

I think there is a really good reason why the Puppet Show only goes to a 5 and thats because they really only suit a little girl.

My 8 year old still wears her size 5 shorts and they are starting to look a bit odd as her legs are so long.

Only my opinion,I will probably be howled down but you did ask…..

As for too hard to enlarge,I couldn’t say,but if you chopped the pattern into quarters,moved the pieces apart evenly and the joined them up again that may work.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have been tempted to do the same but due to time challenged moments taking up my life for the last couple of months, it’s been put on the back burner.

My daughter is tall also but is more on the size 12 side of things than an 8. If I were to enlarge this pattern, I’d add a bit of length in the leg also – only because I love the style and really think that it will still suit my 9 year old (but with a bit of extra length so it doesn’t look too awkward on her) and they would be perfect for running around home in in our really hot weather.

All I can suggest is give it a go with the worse bit of fabric in your stash. If it doesn’t work well then at least you know you’ve attempted and learned that it isn’t worth cutting all that beautiful fabric to make what doesn’t look right.

I love the style personally and I have seen this style on little girls my daughter’s age.

Enlarging isn’t hard at all. You just need to work out how much by and split that measurement evenly in the correct spots (in this case crotch area, leg length and across the body). I use a non iron on interfacing to do my patterns (only because it is the most accessible for me). I trace the pattern, split and then reassemble including the allowances I need to add and then retrace. If you use the size 8 measurements it should give you a fair idea of how much to include.

Hope this helps and good luck!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I hate to point out another pattern on the Oliver+S forums but one of the ladies here (Sarah) used a Burda Kids 9519 shorts/pants pattern to make shorts for her older daughter. The style is not exactly like the puppet show shorts but similar and it goes up to a size 10. The pockets are different but there’s banding at the bottom of the legs.

I agree that the Puppet Shorts pattern is adorable and it’s frustating when you have a child that is outside of the typical size range. My youngest daughter who is 4 is quite big for her age. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the size 5 PS shorts will still fit her next summer!

LINK
    eban @eban

Last year I enlarged this patern to a size 7 for my 5yo. I added length as well and they looked great. I enlarge patterns by measuring the distance between 2 smaller sizes and adding that amount to the pattern for each size up I go. For instance if the distance between the lines for sizes 4 and 5 is 1cm I add 2 cm to go to a size 7. I measure all the way around the pattern piece because the difference between sizes changes at certain points. This is probably the wrong way to do it but it works for me. There are lots of tutorials on how to enlarge patterns if you google it.

Good luck.

LINK
    ThirdMargaret @ThirdMargaret

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! I am still deliberating on this one… IF I decide to do it, I will absolutely make them longer, as her long skinny legs just look better in shorts that are a bit longer. ( I know what you mean, Nicole!) I’ll post pictures if I do!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.