Oliver + S

Elastic length for 6-12 month blouse?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

I am making the size 6-12 month class picnic blouse as a gift for a niece (who is about to be born) and am at the step to put in elastic at the neckline.

Could someone who has made this size tell me how long I should cut my elastics? Or maybe there is an approximation chart somewhere to coordinate for the sizes?

Thanks!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I haven’t made this size but I had the same problem with a size 6, sewing for a child who I don’t have access to. I can’t find my original post with the question.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think the elastic only needs to be a little shorter than the pattern piece (minus seam allowances) as it is just there for ease of dressing. It is not holding up a skirt, for example. I would go by the look of it and try to have it match one I liked the looks of in the Flickr pool.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I made the 12m for my twins with 4.5″ of elastic, I probably could have gone less as it was a little big on the small one in the beginnig, but almost a year later they are both able to still wear the blouses even though the bigger twin is now technically in the 18m range.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I made this a couple times in that size and “think” I used about 3″. It was quite a while ago when the pattern was released so I could be remembering incorrectly. That seems like a good length though.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I agree that the length can be approximate. I made this for my little niece and just guessed. You want a little gathering, but exactly how much isn’t super important.

It is a great pattern for fitting a range of sizes.

LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

Thanks everyone! I started with 4.5″ and probably ended up with 4-4.25″ on each sleeve after trimming. I borrowed a friend’s baby who is a hefty 6 month-old and it fit her well. It was not quite as roomy in the underarm as I hoped (fine in wearing, just a little sticky getting the cute fat arm in there!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.