Oliver + S

Elastic cutting guide for trousers?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Ltrsumner @Ltrsumner

I must be missing it, but I can’t find a guideline for elastic lengths to cut for the waistband for these pants. Is it in the pattern and I’m just missing it? Someone clue me in, please!? Thanks.

LINK
    Ltrsumner @Ltrsumner

Tried to post this to the forum for the art museum trousers pattern. Thanks.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I don’t have it in front of me but isn’t it usually child’s waist minus one inch? Do you know if the wearer is narrow, average, or wider through the waist?

LINK
    Ltrsumner @Ltrsumner

Thanks for your reply, Sarvi! Yes, it would be something like that if the elastic went all the way around the waist, but these pants have a flat front. Child is pretty average, and his measurements are pretty spot-on for pattern. Only thing I can think to do is cut a generous length of elastic and pin it, stretch it, measure it, compare to printed finished garment measurements, repeat. Which would work… but this seems like a lot of steps. Hoping there is a cutting guide.

LINK
    Ltrsumner @Ltrsumner

Btw, this is my third pair of these and the first one for which I don’t have intended wearer handy. Love the pattern and the fit, though!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I measure the front where there is no elastic and take that measurement away from the waist minus one and that gives me approximately how much elastic I need. I do all my sewing away from the recipients so I had to work out a way. Hope this makes sense.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, I see the dilemma. Without a wearer to fit, you’re kind of stuck with approximations, but Heidi’s method seems sound. You could also leave on end of the elastic free and pinned, and let the wearer’s parents adjust and tack down that one end, if they’re comfortable with that. If they’re thread-averse, perhaps you could use buttonhole elastic?

LINK
    Ltrsumner @Ltrsumner

Ah, Heidi, good thought! I will give that a try. I also like the idea for buttonhole elastic. Thanks for your responses, you two.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Buttonhole elastic is perfect for sewing for gifts but I wouldn’t use it at home as it always seems to fold in half due to the holes. It does make you look terribly clever if you have a neat litte buttonhole opening sewn into the waistband for the elastic to pop out through

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

You’re welcome, and if you don’t have the recipients waist measurement I will just use the one off the back of the packet for the size your sewing. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.