Oliver + S

double gauze for garden party

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Amy MacKay @AmyBeth

I have two little girls (ages 2.5 and 5 years old), and much less time to sew than I would like. I have been dreaming about sewing for them for this summer, but realistically won’t have time to do more than one outfit each. So I’m carefully consider what that should be. I’ve done a variety of the easier Oliver and S patterns (hide and seek, carousel, ice cream, library dresses and a few skirts), mostly in quilting cottons. I’m considering a Nani Iro double gauze for the garden party dresses. Before I make the investment in time and money, I was wondering if anyone can comment on how double gauze would work for the garden party dress? Would it be much more difficult/fussy to work with than quilting cotton? I’m also wondering if I would need to line it? If so, will that be tricky to add to this pattern? Would it add to much bulk on the top front? Thanks for your help!

LINK
    Stacibennett @Stacibennett

I made a garden party out of some Nani Iro double gauze a couple of summers ago. It was wonderful.
    It does fray easily, but it wasn’t horrible. Treat it gently and serge/zigzag/french seam. You don’t need to line it.

Sorry, I don’t have a photo handy without the little bolero (it was early spring, so thought she needed a little more, but it hides the best parts of the dress!)

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Stacibennett. Reason: add photo
    Attachments:
    LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I think it would be gorgeous in double gauze. I made the top in a really light weight lawn, and that was lovely. I’ve also made the dress using something horrible and slippy topped with a flimsy nylon with jewels on it (not my fabric choices!!). For this a sewed the slippy fabric and the top fabric together as one. If your double gauze was particularly sheer you could use a fine lawn as a lining and there would be no bulk.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I agree. Double gauze would be perfect for that style!

LINK
    Amy MacKay @AmyBeth

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ve got the double gauze and its beautiful! Any advice on precasting? I’m thinking of zigzagging the ends to prevent excessive fraying, washing/rinsing in cold and line drying. Is that reasonable?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Do you mean prior to washing the yardage of fabric, or finishing seams after seeing them?
    At the risk of sounding heretical, I don’t do anything to the edges of new fabric before prewashing. Sure, I sometimes get a mild tangle but I only ever lose a few threads width which is less than you’d lose if you pinked the edges.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I don’t either, @lightningmcstitch! It’s never caused a real problem, and if I get a little nest of threads I just cut them off. No biggie.

LINK
    Amy MacKay @AmyBeth

Here’s the final products. Finished just in time for Easter! I added flat piping and lace to the sleeves and just a little bit of length. The double gauze was beautiful and worked well for this pattern.

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.