Oliver + S

Double Gauze

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Jane @jesims

I recently purchased some double gauze as a trial (http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=a31cfab4-0e18-470a-8552-f6f4c06f7756). I’ve never worked with double gauze before. I love how it feels, I’m sure it will be soft against little ones skin. I only have 1 yard, since it’s pricey and this is the first time working with it. Any suggestions as to which pattern would be best suited for double gauze? Any suggestions or special considerations when working with it?

Thanks,

Jane

http://www.NotSewPlain.blogspot.com

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Hi Jane – I’ve sewn a couple of things from Nani Iro double gauze, and I’d imagine it’s very similar to the Kokka that you purchased.

When I sew with double gauze it’s reminded me of sewing with a knit – not that it’s as stretchy, but it’s kind of the same texture to me. I used a new needle (I use universal) and a slightly longer stitch length than usual, mostly because I didn’t want to have to un-pick very small stitches in case I made a mistake….and I made a bunch for some reason with the Class Picnic top I sewed from it! I had to un-pick it like 4 times….

That’s my only advice….but, I did serge the raw edges cause I’d imagine that it would unravel quite a bit if you didn’t.

I made a class picnic top and a bubble dress from my double gauze. It wouldn’t be a crisp music class shirt, but I’d certainly give that a go – it would just look more relaxed than formal.

I talked recently to Seven Islands Fabric (the distributor for Kokka in the US) and they mentioned that they recommend all their fabrics be washed on gentle cycle and line dried. When I pre-treated my fabric, I washed it normally, dried it a tiny bit in the drier and then line dried it the rest of the way. It came out just fine.

Good luck, and I think you’ll be hooked with the double gauze; I know I am!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Hi JuliaMom,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am leaning toward a Badminton dress for summer. I might leave off the scalloped hem. I’m thinking the extra weight of the hem might take away some of the “flow” of the double gauze. I thought it reminded me of a knit in feel as well.

Jane

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I can offer lots of the advice as Juliamom. Definitely finish your seams and use a new needle. I didn’t adjust my stitch length, but in hindsight that sounds like a wise idea. I made swing set tops from mine but I bet a bubble dress would feel great in it. Makes me want to get some now for my daughter!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.