Oliver + S

Do you sew for yourselves or just for your children?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

Hi,

Well, I don’t have a favorite dress, I gain some weight with the pregnancy but what I really dont like is this baby belly that I gained, so I would Love a pattern that would hide my belly! Maybe a Tunic (View A) / Dress pattern (View B) with short/long sleeve, something that we could layer with a knit jacket in the winter and some leggings, or put on high Heels do go out, well, a pattern that give us options is this that I want.

Latter I will post a pic of me to be fair with the others that posted already.

Rita.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Working on some pictures. Definitely not just there to be a voyeur….

I’ve always bought quite expensive pieces of clothing that really don’t date. At least I don’t think they do. Posting some pictures could prove me wrong. (when you’re all mentally screaming, “that’s so early 90’s”)

However, after two kids I’m just not fitting into things that are simply too “timeless” (read expensive) to throw out. And so, I continue to vainly wish that one day they may fit again. I think I really need to do something more than wish..

Anyway, the things I like are usually down to the fabric as much as the shape. I think anything made of quilting cotton is disastrous. Which is probably why the few things I’ve made myself, which were maternity dresses were quite awful. I went with the theory that maternity wear doesn’t need to “fit”. But then I ended up in some enormous, cotton, tent-like dresses. Also cotton dresses make me feel a bit too much like I’m in a conservative religious sect, which, no offence to those who choose that way, is definitely not for me.

I need to experiment with some heavy-ish, draping knits if I’m going to ever sew or myself.

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

I’ve not sewn much for myself in the past, and when I did, the results were not worth the effort. I am now learning so much about constructing clothing with O+S, however, that I am growing more confident. I just bought a very drapey poly/spandex knit to make a wrap dress with, and I am hoping the drape will be flattering on my body.

I am also a member of the flickr group above but have not posted pics yet. That will take some time to try on things and have someone photograph me in them.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

OK I’ll play. I agree with Wendi in that post baby (2), I much prefer stretchy fabrics. I need a little give, and for clothing to not feel tight, or stretched, when I’m doing the mom-contortionist act. I, too, loved the Washi dress but found the neckline needed stabilization that wasn’t provided in the pattern instructions (my bad, I suppose). I also love the Wiksten Tova top, it’s very much my style, and just saw an Anna Maria Horner Rayon version posted by Jenny of Wiksten that I loved. I also prefer longer tops, that hit mid to low hip. My HUGE pet peeve is when tops hit at my waist and I’m constantly pulling them down or monitoring the situation back there when I bend over.

Hard to find pics of myself, but two that I’ve found show a classic t-shirt, from Lululemon, that was pima cotton, and had just the right drape and fit. It was super long, which I LOVED, and wore it a few times a week. The length was key for me. It hugged in all the right areas, and skimmed over the wrong ones. The second is a maxi dress, silk I think, with a fitted camisole top and very loose bodice/skirt. I actually wore this while I was very pregnant and it looked just as good after the baby weight came off. Pics to follow…

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I dress almost exclusively in knits nowadays (except for my chef jackets and the regulation checked pants I inherited from my husband.) just because I am never willing to get out the iron for myself like I am with the kids… there is one silhouette that I keep going back to, it’s a tunic-length hoodie that has the right balance of behind-coverage but not too billowy so as to make it obvious as gut camouflage.

Going to join the group now, hopefully I can get some pix taken by the kids! Actually I know why there are no pictures of my favorite outfits to show, it’s because I’ve become a pro at hiding my body behind other people when there’s a camera around.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Kelley, I have the same pet peeve. However, I strongly feel the fault is in the pants, not the tops. I want to shout from the rooftops how awful low rise skinny jeans are! I mean, who needs to see every muffin top peeking out everywhere? Seriously. I miss the days when skinny jeans refer to the pants you wear when you are skinny. I very seriously can’t wear pants any more. I have literally one pair of jeans that are pretty much falling apart. One pair of black pants that I had to break down and buy at – gulp – Talbots. You know, where my mother shops. It’s awful, but I can’t wear skinny pants and there isn’t a decent store on the planet who sells anything else. Ok, I’m done. Sorry for the rant. Well, for now anyway.

Shelley, I think you’re looking at the wrong kind of cotton dresses. Cotton is such a breathable wonderful fabric and can be so very lovely that I don’t think it should be reserved only for the Amish. I don’t think they would approve of what I do with it. 😉

Just looked at Jenny Gordys AMH rayon version. It’s cute and all, but her bustline looks about as big as my thigh. I’m helping a friend fit that pattern right now. It needs a *lot* of work. It looks really lovely on the willowy and waif like, but if you look it up on Pinterest, well, lets just say you can see it’s not for the rest of us.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I hope that this year we’re all able to find patterns we feel we look good in. It feels a bit sad that the changes childbearing brings to women’s bodies seem to be considered at best something to be hidden. I’m not saying that I haven’t felt that way myself, but hearing so many people describe that same feeling is a bit heartbreaking. I think I am going to make a conscious effort to be more appreciative of my body. It does a lot for me and certainly it finds … interested audiences, let’s say.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Well, I’m in the middle of my second skirt for me this week! It’s definitely my preferred style. (Hence my one & only pic in the group – like, how many variations on a theme does everyone want to see 😉 )

Sarvi, I’m ok with my body in general (it’s served me pretty well so far!) I think the key is that we all have different shapes, and it’s hard sometimes to get a match with clothes/a ‘look’. I adore the Wiksten Tova, but on me it would look like a sack!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Sarvi, I think it’s sad that stores don’t consider making clothes that consider what happens to us as we age. They only make for the young. On the other hand, thats what gives me the chance to sew. Im not unhappy about what’s happened to my body. However, I find in my old age I simply don’t like to have everything out there on display any more. 🙂

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

It’s not the childbearing but the looking after them afterwards that’s done me in! I’d have “my old body” back if I could just ride 2 hours before breakfast every day and 4-5 hours each day on the weekend. Or maybe if I stopped eating as if I was still riding that much!

Regardless of my age, or shape, I have NEVER liked pants/jeans that have the big, gaping bit at the back (watermelon pocket I call it) and so I also sat out the whole era of the low rise jeans.

I’ve tracked down a brand of jeans that fit really well around the waist. I’ll try and get a picture of those too….

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I’ve had good results with Lucky Brand jeans. They are somewhat pricey, but I wear them for years.

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Honestly, I don’t know that I know what looks good on me. I am a stay at home mom and I feel like I am turning into my mom in some ways. When I was growing up, my mom would wear jeans and a tshirt every day. She would buy the same shirt in 3-4 colors and rotate through. And this is what I feel like my wardrobe is like.

I love dresses and I love skirts, but I have trouble finding ones that fit within my budget and my lifestyle needs. I also have a lot of trouble accessorizing so that my look is complete. I would love to make some dresses/skirts, but I have the worst time picking fabric that would go with a pattern. I always think that it will look too juvenile, homely, or grandmotherly (no offense to all the grandma’s out there…)

I’ll see if I can figure out what my favorite outfit is right now and share a photo, since I did join the group. It isn’t cool to join and then not put myself out there too.

As for pants- I have had luck with jeans from Kut from the Kloth. Another bonus is that they run big, so while I actually wear a 6 or 8 in most regular brands, I wear a 2 or 4 in this brand. 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I had a pair of Lucky Brand before I had kids that I loved. They were in Real Simple years ago, before the whole “skinny” malarky, as flattering for large thighs. By golly, they were! I loved them. Even if I get skinny enough, they’re so low cut I can’t actually wear them in public. But I’m off to look them up and see what styles they carry now. There’s a shop right downtown.

What is Kut from the Kloth? Do they have non-skinny mid/high rise?

LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

I highly recommend Kut from the Kloth jeans, they have had some very nice trouser jeans that fit a woman’s body. This year though, all I saw from them were skinny jeans, and found a very nice pair of jeans (again, trouser style) from Jag. Both brands have styles that are more mid-rise. Both brands you can find at Nordstrom’s (gulp). What I do is use our credit card and order maybe 6-7 pairs (free shipping!) to try on and return all but one or two. The pants can be pricey, but sometimes you can catch a sale. A lot of people swear by Not Your Daughter’s Jeans (very pricey, I think) but they don’t fit me well. And if you are ever near a Nordstrom’s, you should go get a bra fitting, especially if you are post-nursing. The right bra really makes a difference in how your clothes look! I will be posting some pics of my favorite (almost worn-out) skirt, a simple A-line from Banana Republic that I have had for several years.

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I buy Kut from the Kloth from Hot Mama (http://www.shopmama.com/ DO NOT- I repeat DO NOT just add a .com after the store name…)

The Kut styles vary. I have some straight leg ones and some boot cut. I have also had several different styles of capri jeans from them. I have seen trouser jeans, but haven’t tried them as that typically isn’t my style. And while they aren’t super cheap, they are on the lower end price wise of designer jeans.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.