Oliver + S

Difficult to put on?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I made this pattern in a size 5, last year and the child didn’t experience any problems. However, I drafted it without sleeves, and as I have some much smaller sizes planned, it’s good to get this feedback. I find that dear O + S vary in ease of getting over heads or getting arms into sleeves. I now bear this in mind when drafting patterns. A new tutorial would be welcome, as I find I learn LOTS – even when I think I’ve got the pattern sorted.

Missy has grown considerably since the Playtime tunic was made for a holiday in Japan, last May; top photo taken about 6 mths ago.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I agree, if we wanted clothes that sort of fit we could buy off the rack — part of the pleasure of sewing yourself is taking a good solid pattern and making those tweaks that make it fit a unique individual’s body, as you say. And we’re blessed with such a wealth of knowledge and experience among our group, and I found Melanie’s heirloom sewing post to be very rich in information. A good meaty tute is always appreciated.

LINK
    NCMimi @NCMimi

Needlewoman, your version looks adorable! Think I’ll try it without the sleeves next time!

Just to clarify, I did not have a problem with putting over the head — just getting arms into the sleeves….which I think would be solved by using a fabric with more stretch.

I love Oliver + S designs and find the instructions so far superior to other patterns I have downloaded from other sites as well as the traditional pattern companies. Also love all the feedback and suggestions on these discussion boards!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Thank you very much NCMimi; I made the Playtime that way mainly because I was concerned about Missy tolerating the lowered sleeve seams, especially in a thicker fabric. I did understand what you were saying about littlies getting into the armholes, and occasionally with more fitted tops like the Sailor top, I have lengthened the armholes fractionally. Every kid is different – way too much so, for a long distance sewist, but the joy of working with O+S patterns is the great paper the patterns are printed on _they don’t self destruct as one draws on them – and as you say, all the great feedback and assistance this forum offers.

One tip I’ll pass on for free is check your child’s back waist length. I find that altering my drafted pattern (usually a little longer for Australian children) to allow for this really helps with the look of clothes, and the amount of ‘struggle room’ available for the kid to put the clothes on.

My personal hobby horse is the predominance of stretch fabric in children’s wear – wonderful stuff, and so much easier for so many people, BUT I’ve noticed that many children now find more fitted clothes, or ones not made from knitted fabric pretty confronting, and require help to be patient when getting dressed. It will be interesting to see how the Playtimes I’ve cut out, recently, are actually received by the girls, and their mothers.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.