Oliver + S

Craftsy recommendation, anyone?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

So, I won a prize in a contest – a free Craftsy class. One would think I could easily choose a class, but I keep wavering. Anyone taken a class on Craftsy that they absolutely loved, sewing or otherwise? Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Janice how fantastic congratulations! I have craftsy classes coming from my ears they are so fun. You can sign up for free a d there are free mini classes plus (if you feel inclined) the block of the month quilting classes are freebies also.

For sewing, I have the one about jeans with Kenneth d King that I haven’t actually viewed and also the finishing techniques with Katrina Walker – you get a free pattern with that one – i found that one really inspiring with the finishes. I recommend it.

For Quilting I seem to have lots more, mainly different techniques for piecing and a few for free motion quilting. I absolutely love Precut piecing made simple with Camille Roskelley as she outlines something like five different quilt tops using different precuts, including her Swoon pattern. I also absolutely love the free motion quilting classes with Leah Day and Angela Walters and the one with Jacquie Gering about her modern quilt designs seems really great also.

It really depends what you want to do. There are lots of fantastic choices available it seems but I think you will enjoy whatever class you pick. I would love to get hold of some of the fitting classes so that I can fit my own clothes alot better now that my body has changed since the last time I sewed for myself. They seem like interesting classes to take and I think you’d learn something new at least. I agree the classes all look fantastic so I don’t blame you for having a hard time in choosing.

I love it because you can refer to it time and time again and it doesn’t expire and also you can discuss the lessons with others which can be handy.

Let us know which one you chose and how it went.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I’d love to help Janice – but I have yet to watch any of the Craftsy classes I have!

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I’ve not gone through the whole class but I learned more in the first 10 minutes of the couture sewing class with Susan Khaljie (sp?) than I ever knew about sewing. Many of the techniques are not ones that I use on a regular basis – it is couture after all – but just watching her work is fascinating to me. There is also a Sew-Along knit class that includes the fabric that I want to take.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I took the couture sewing with Susan Khalje last year and it was life changing. I continue to use many many of the techniques she teaches, though I rarely go full blown with all of them. After all, as she says, couture doesn’t worry about how much fabric you use or how much time it takes, but I mostly do have those constraints. 🙂

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I watched the class on sewing with knits. It really helped me since I was a complete novice. If you’ve sewn them a few times or own a serger, it would be too basic.

I enjoyed one on Quilting big projects on a small machine. Not life changing, but helpful.

I am interested in what others have found. I’m tempted by the one about sewing jeans and also couture sewing.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes the couture sewing techniques class looks great doesn’t it. I already have the pattern so I am wondering if the option for the pattern could be disabled.

I try and look for the classes when they are on sale as some can be rather expensive. It evens out with all the viewing time though I guess.

I have sewing big quilts on small machines and she does things quite differently in terms of the actual stitching than how I do it. But each to their own on that one. I got that class to learn quilt as you go techniques but I think I will just sew up the quilt as a biggie and do it that way instead.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Now I have to re-look at them….I think the couture sewing techniques will really teach me more than the basics, but I don’t wear dresses ever (jeans and t-shirts for me!). The knit t-shirt one looks good, but I can’t imagine 9 lessons to make a t-shirt….but, that’s something I may actually make myself and wear. Thanks guys for your opinions!

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Hello folks! Wondering if anyone has recommendations of an online class (or other) for teaching measuring and fit. My dream is to have someone knowledgeable measure me and tell me my fit issues but a 4 day fit class for multiple hundreds of dollars is not in the budget. I make almost all my own clothes, but I still feel like it is very touch and go, with whether I get a good fit on fitted items. Thanks for your thoughts…

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I am watching Joi Mahon’s fit class on Craftsy. Love it and can’t wait to apply it. I do love Craftsy as I can watch over and over and pause and pause again.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I second Joi’s classes. They may be a little confusing to start with (if you are used to the other methods of altering patterns) but they will make a heap of sense when practise and apply the method to fit your body. I actually get better results now than before.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Thank you! I had seen that one and was leaning towards it! I’ll put it on the birthday list, thanks ladies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.