Oliver + S

Confusion about sleeve cuff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Nirmala D @NirmalaD

I am just not getting it! While I successfully sewed the collar stand, I cannot seem to sew the sleeve cuff and facing together as instructed. I’ve looked at the instructions and the sew-along carefully a couple of times and tried and ripped out. It is the part where we are to re-sew the 1 inch seam that previously attached the interfaced cuff to the sleeve.I roll the sleeve placket away. Stitch to the dot and then continue sewing around the curve up to the top dot or beyond. What keeps happening is that when I turn it, the cuff facing is caught in the 1 inch portion and will not allow the placket to lie flat. What am I doing wrong? Help!

LINK
    Jennifer @JenniferBrady

I am noticing the same thing! It made sense on the collar band but sewing the cuff and facing together 1 in into the sleeve creates a strange jutting out cuff that rolls the placket pieces inward! I am ignoring directions as written and just sewing the curve.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We have a complete sew-along to help you! Once you “get” this technique it’s very quick and clean.

liesl + co. classic shirt sew along

LINK
    Jane @jane

I’m having the exact same problem. I’ve tried following the sew along but the cuff section just repeats the instructions and doesn’t provide the clarity needed. It would really help to see a short video so I can see where I’m going wrong.

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

Jane, I have a little tip that is useful for me. After stitching the cuff to the sleeve (step #2)from one dot to the other, I trim the SA as step #3 indicates, but I don’t press it away from the sleeve. That makes it easier to sew again the last inch of the previously stitched seam to the basting line of the facing in step #4, pushing the sleeve inside the cuff a little bit. In fact I don’t even roll the edge, just push it gently inside the cuff, that at this point is turned right-side in. After stitching again that last inch, pivoting at the dot, and sewing the curved portion to the dot, and turning the cuff right-side out, I finger press both the SA away from the sleeve and the cuff facing along the basting line. And then, I edgestitch the cuff.
    I hope this makes sense… I have just sewn a recital shirt sleeve cuff, but I have not neither pictures nor videos from the process. I’m planning to sew a classic shirt next week. I’ll try to take some pictures and post them.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by María.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.