Oliver + S

Combine Sailboat skirt and pants patterns

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

I was looking at the sailboat pattern the other nignt and thought that the skirt and pants pattern pieces could be combined to make a cute skort or skirt/capris outfit. The skirt and pant front peices can be used to line each other. The back skirt pattern would have to be adjusted to fit with the pants back. also shorten the skirt just a tad. Are there any other things that should be considered in construction?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’d love to see this if you make it! It hadn’t occurred to me to do this, but it would make sense that it could work. Will you baste the two backs together and use the skirt fabric to make the waistband?

LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

I’d trim the skirt and pant backs to a half or quarter inch seam allowance, sew seam and understitch (?) – so it doesn’t roll. Next Then I would turn the peices so that the skirt and pants are right sides out and stitch about the width of elastic + 1/8 th inch down from the finished edge. This way the skirt and pant back pieces form the casing for the elastic. Run the elastic through the casing and secure it by stitching in the ditch of the side seams. I have a children’s corner pattern that uses this method. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to do this but I will make sure I send a picture.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I want to see this done, too!

LINK
    Emily @Emily

I did something like this last night. I used the pant front and back pieces, shortened them, then also used the skirt piece on the front only. I extended the pant front so that it had square rather than notched in corners and omitted the side-front panel. I modified the facing for the pant front. After hemming the skirt front and doing the buttonholes, I basted it to the pant front and treated it as one piece. For the elastic I just followed the directions as written because there was only one pant layer in the back and not bother a pant and a skirt layer. I didn’t really think through the shape of the pant leg when I shortened it so I had to fudge it a bit when I was hemming it, but I think it turned out reasonably well. I still need to add the buttons and finish the elastic, which I will do when my daughter is up in the morning to try it on.

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

What an ambitious project!

by the way, love the sewing machine. I, too, have a similar viking, a 21a?

LINK
    teambernard99 @teambernard99

CUTE!

LINK
    arlyna @arlyna

Wow! I wanna do one, too… I’m just finishing up a marathon of 2 trousers and 1 skirt for 3 4 yr olds! And I was thinking of a skort. This is perfect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.