Oliver + S

Collar interfacing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Kristine @Kristine

Hi Liesl, I was interested to see that you place the interfacing on the undercollar, rather than the uppercollar of the Jump Rope Dress. I haven’t sewn collars from many other commercial patterns and was wondering if this is common. Was there a reason why you put it on the undercollar – from either a construction or aesthetic point of veiw? Just thought I’d ask as I learned a lot from your other tips scattered through the pattern directions. Thanks

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Kristine,

I’ve always preferred to interface the under collar because the glue in fusible interfacing can change the hand of the fabric. If the fabric becomes stiffer, I’d rather than it wasn’t visible, so the under collar takes the interfacing since it isn’t visible when the garment is worn. I think this is common practice–I haven’t checked other sewing patterns, but I know that in the industry the under collar is always interfaced rather than the upper collar. Hope that helps!

LINK
    Kristine @Kristine

Thanks, I know what you mean. If I apply the interfacing with an iron that is too hot it bubbles and looks awful. I’ve always applied it to the top collar because a teacher at fashion school told me it’s done that way. Now I know otherwise.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.