Oliver + S

Choosing the right pattern size

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am ready to cut out the book report dress for my granddaughter. She is 3.10 years and is very tall and slim 19 waist, 20 chest, 22 hip a size 2 or less, but 42″ in height and 38 in weight, a size 4 (I can add the length at the halfway point for that). I made a size 3 in the fairytale dress and the fit was perfect. This pattern looks like it blouses out. I’m concerned with cutting out the right size so that it fits through the shoulders. Is there a way to measure shoulder width or does the chest measurement cover that?

Also I have the forest path cape and hula hoop skirt ready to cut. The cape would fall into the same size I would use for the book report dress so that the shoulders fit, but the skirt would go by waist size correct?

LINK
    Jane @jesims

My daughter just turned 3 last month. She’s 38″ with a 20″ waist. I went ahead and made the size 2 in width and added length equal to the size 4. It fits her well. For the loser fitting patterns I generally error on the smaller size since there is still plenty of room and just add the needed length.

Jane

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The chest measurement is generally the best way to find the appropriate size. You can also check the finished measurement chart, which will give you a sense for the amount of ease in each pattern. Some patterns are designed with more ease than others, so to some degree the sizing will also depend on your preferences regarding fit. If you’re in between sizes, keep that in mind. I tend to round up if S is in between sizes, knowing that she’s growing quickly.

I hope that helps!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

iMac, I am only in the muslin stage, but think a straight 3 fairy tale will fit my daughter well, and I have just made a mostly straight 3 (added a bit of length to the skirt) book report. If you tell me your Flickr name I can add you as a friend so you can see the modeled photos, if getting a visual would help. It’s a whole different shape of garment, nd I think it needs to fit the way it does for an active kid to be able to scoot around in it and fling their little arms all around. Too fitted across the shoulders might be less comfy for the child.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Kmac, not iMac! I hate auto fill.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Hula hoop, I would use the largest of the hip or waist as it is a very fitted skirt, but an amazing one.

I wouldn’t go the size 4 ad I suspect it would look like she was swimming in it. I would suggest the 2T or maybe the 3T with added length.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you, now I feel confident I can chose the right size for these patterns. I made many patterns in the size 2 and added length but I noticed that the chest measurement was 1/2 inch different and the waist was the same so I started making a size 3 and adding length. It makes sense to decide on how much ease I would like to see in each individual garment. Lol iMac, kmac0107 is my Flicker name, I would love to see your dress. Good tip on the fit through the hips on the hula hoop skirt.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.