Oliver + S

Can the Birthday Party Dress be fully lined instead of facing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    susanebartolini @susanebartolini

So, I earlier posted that I had a terrible time understanding the directions for the facings (upper and hem). I muddled through on the upper facing and totally gave up on the hem facing. I just eased the hem instead. Anyway, my question is, would it be possible to just fully line this dress instead of dealing with the facings? If so, would it be possible to get a tutorial or further instructions? I’d be willing to purchase a tutorial on it. Sorry for all the questions, I am still a bit of a beginner and need as much help as I can get. I absolutely ADORE these patterns and don’t want to stop making them!

Thanks!

Susan

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Hi, Susan – I will check back here in a while. Stay tuned. 🙂

LINK
    susanebartolini @susanebartolini

Awesome! Thanks! I have some gorgeous fabric coming and I’d love to make this dress again.

Susan

LINK
    bcran @bcran

I just finished my second b-day dress, and on this one I tried a full lining since my fabric was white. It ended up being a lot easier than I expected. I taped the facing pattern piece on top of the side and center pattern pieces for both the front and back and used that to make my own “full facing piece.” It is not at all technically sound, but it worked.

I just used the line of the dress for my sewing rather than the facing piece as they did not line up 100% around the shoulders. I followed the directions for sewing the facing pieces together and then to the dress, and sewed the entire side seam to the entire length of the button placket. I stopped about an inch before the end to allow for hemming and I just serged the bottom of the lining piece (although it could be hemmed) and although I used the facing method with my first dress, I decided to use ricrac for the hem facing since the dress needed a bit more and ricrac was what I had to settle with.

LINK
    bcran @bcran

I tried posting pictures but they are not showing up. I will post to flickr group. Hope this helps!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

It looks great! Very nice work, thanks for posting the photos to Flickr.

LINK
    txnana @txnana

Hi I just joined this. I am making the lazy day skirt, I love it, I bought some fat quarters and sewed them together in the order i wanted to make my own fabric choice and it looks really good. I have a question …how do you go about buying the oliver patterns? I have looked all over the site but cant figure it out. Thank you Txnana

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

To purchase them directly from Oliver + S just click on the top of the page where it says ‘Patterns’ then click on one of the paper dolls to take you to the different styles/patterns available. There are other online retailers who carry the patterns as well, but there is something fun and special about ordering direct from Todd & Liesl.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Does anybody remember what bcran’s dress looked like? I have a cotton lawn I’d like to use which will need some kind of lining, and I was hoping to peek at somebody else’s construction to speed my progress a bit. Many thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.