Oliver + S

Can I "hack" the Pinwheel to have BOTH flounces on the tunic?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

I really want to make the Pinwheel dress with sleeves…without having to make the two separate pieces. Has anyone done that? Figured out how to add both flounces onto the tunic? Before I start trying to figure it out, wondering if it had been done…

Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think I would add couple of inches to the bottom of the ‘dress’ and then add to one of the flounces, but that would take some thinking about. I think you would need to cut the flounce in half and add it to the middle….

This is why I don’t design patterns.

Good luck.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

What size are you making Rebecca? From memory I think the flounce for the tunic ans the flounce for the dress are separate pieces? It has been a while since I had contact with that pattern but I think I was able to cut it with two separate pieces of pattern. Anyway forgive my rambling, if they are the same and you want to do a layered effect without adding an additional piece to the tunic in order for the flounce on the hem to sit lower, you could draft a lengthened version of the flounce pieces and have this as your bottom flounce. If you want that effect but don’t want to sew the two flounces on at the same point then you will need to figure out the amount you will need for an insert that will be attached to the tunic at the first flounce and then attach the lower flounce to that insert.

If you were planning the route then it will be important to pay attention to the fact that the insert piece needs to also look the same with the curvy part at the front to accommodate the flounce.

I sincerely hope this makes sense and is helpful – sitting for five minutes having a cuppa in between an extremely busy non sewing weekend, so forgive me if I don’t an ounce of sense.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I haven’t tried it yet, but I have wanted to do the same thing. I think that if you make sure that the dress has the same hemline as the slip (trace the slip pattern), you could probably add the slip flounce to skirt with no problem. As I said, though – I haven’t tried it, so don’t hold me to it!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

You might look at how the ruffled halter is assembled for inspiration. I’m thinking you might make the long length of the slip and top stitch one layer of the flounces. But, I haven’t looked closely at this pattern yet.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Sandi, I was hoping you would pop in!

LINK
    Anonymous @

I really need to just try this and post a tute (if it works!).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.