Oliver + S

bucket hat sizing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    corlee @corlee

i would love to make one of these for my niece who is 9. do you think i could get away with making the large size for her? i can’t really speak to whether or not she has a large/small head for her age or not. i feel like my side of the family has large heads but i don’t really know about her… ack. sounds so silly, huh?

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I made the size L for my 3 (almost 4) yo but she has a rather large head. It was right on the dot 21″ as the pattern says.

Her big sister’s head was 21.5″ and the hat looks a little small on her.

Can’t you ask her mother/father to measure the head?

LINK
    mrsc1345 @mrsc1345

I would say that I doubt it. I have been trying to figure out a logical way to enlarge the pattern at a printers but I just don’t know what percentage to scale up and frankly won’t be bothered until the sun actually decides to come out in our rainy northwest neighborhood. I don’t have my book handy, but I made the second largest size for my 3yo (the size that was recomended)and it is a snug fit on my 2yo. Granted, it says to both measure your childs head first and my kids have notoriously largish noggins, but the kids were already in bed and I knew it it didn’t fit the biggest it should fit the smallest. Surely the middle piece (the band?) will measure about the circumpherence of the finished head size minus seam allowances, so in theory you would just need a measurement of her and then enlarge to fit. In Theory. But then again, it is 5:40 and I am on some strong pain meds from surgery, so don’t take my word for it! 🙂

LINK
    mrsc1345 @mrsc1345

And when I said I doubt it, I meant I doubt the large size would fit, but I believe it is totally doable with a good head measurement and a little trial and error.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I made an enlarged size large for my seven year old who has a 22″ head…larger than my hubbys!! But I would caution to only add at the width points and not add everywhere as his came out a little deep (falls over his eyes) because I added 1/2″ to all sides…It is a great hat and fits him better than any other “kid” hats we own but think it thru first and maybe make a test run with cheap fabric. He love shaving one just like his little bros!! Katja

LINK
    Emily P @Emily P

I made the large hoping it would fit my 9 year-old. No such luck! However, it fit my almost 5 daughter fine. I thought it might work to enlarge on a copier, but looking at the pattern, it might be better to follow the other patterns of enlargement and enlarge in the same increment as seen on the pattern. I’m going to try this sometime this weekend, but definitely with some “practice” fabric.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.