Oliver + S

Bonded fabric

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I keep seeing bonded fabrics around. What kind of projects would these be really good for? I’m fascinated by the idea of ‘two-for-one’ and how you might be able to use it without lining. I guess on a basic level it might just remove the need for a lining. I’m interested in what could be done with it, I’d love to hear ideas!

http://www.topfabric.co.uk/fabric/wool-tartan-bonded-with-red-nylon-19156.html

http://www.topfabric.co.uk/fabric/chunky-wool-knit-bonded-jersey-grey-black.html

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

interesting, perhaps it stabilizes the wool so it doesn’t lose its shape? I wonder if that makes it stiffer, and if what they use to stick them together affects how to clean the project.
    I’m thinking ideal for a messenger bag or clutch to test it… then if it holds up, a garment.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’m always ogling the great double sided knits. Solid on one side and stripes on the other. I like the idea of making hoodies for the kids, so the inner hood, pocket welts etc can be the reverse side.
    I’ve just bought an amazing Italian double faced wool that will be a cape for my mum. The reverse side will be visible where it falls open a bit at the sides. Any unlined jacket or cape pattern would be good.
    And I just made a hoodie for my nephew in a fabric that was a grey, rib knit bonded onto black fleece. Effectively like a nice, warm lining with no extra effort.
    I don’t dare follow your links as i obviously like the double sided idea a bit too much….

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

Bonded fabrics arrived on the home sewing apparel scene about 47 yrs ago, when I was 16 and I loved them. I used to create cute shorts style zip front jump suits in bonded knits for school (the legs were wide enough to pass as culottes) as well as culotte skirts in wools and knits and even a tent dress (remember those you more “mature” sewers?!)in bonded wool. Items that would be tricky to line or impossible to wear a slip under were perfect for using bonded fabrics and they were very easy to sew, no ravel issues. I haven’t seen them around lately but I will have to look. They make for fuss free sewing.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

The fabrics stayed nice and soft too but I did not make anything with pleats as I assumed that it would be impossible to get a crisp pleat fold. The bonding fabric was a soft shiny lining knit of some kind. I would machine wash and dry my bonded knits at home but the wools went off to the cleaners. They all held up really well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.