Oliver + S

Blindstitching the lining hem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

I am on my last step of this coat – yeah! But totally flummoxed – boo. The directions (step 3 on page 9) call for blindstitching the fold at the hem of the lining to the jacket at the topstitching. I understand that the lining has some extra ease built in which causes it to hang down to the bottom of the jacket but that I’m attaching it about 1″ from the bottom. The part I am confused about is that at the side edge of the lining it is also lining up with the bottom edge of the jacket and I can’t figure out how to make it lay nicely which attaching it at the topstitching. I am wondering if I attached it incorrectly somewhere but I’m not going back to fix that now (and I didn’t notice anything else not lining up properly when sewing the lining and outside together).

I hope I’m explaining myself clearly enough. Does anyone have any input?

TIA!

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

In case it helps show what I’m trying to explaining, here is a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lkollett/8589812006/

This is where the facing and lining meet on the inside. You can see the lining comes all the way to the bottom at the edge. I’m supposed to sew it about an inch from the hem but then the lining won’t lay flat on the side where it meets the facing.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I had this same issue. I looked inside of lined coats and there is a neat tuck taken in the lining. This allows for ease of movement. The lining is sort of folded up a little. I think someone posted a picture of it somewhere. Is there a school days jacket tutorial? Did Nicole make one?

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Jemellia at JemJam.typepad.com made a tutorial and I used it when I first sewed the coat last year. The pictures are no longer available.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Love your fabric choices!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, there’s a little pleat taken at the edge. It’s fine to just sort of fold it up a bit there and stitch the pleat down.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.