Oliver + S

Binding

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Sewnsew @Sewnsew

I was cutting out the pattern for the Sunday Brunch jacket. Now I can’t find the piece for the bias strips! I don’t know if it didn’t come with the pattern, or if I misplaced it somehow.

Anyway, is there a way to just make the bias strips myself? And how much fabric do I need to cut them?

Thanks!

LINK
    Sewnsew @Sewnsew

I forgot to add how long do I cut the strips?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I believe you can just cut them yourself – do you have an Olfa cutting mat? Mine has two bias-cutting grid lines that I can follow along. One is an inch wide and that is the measurement I used when I made my Sunday Brunch jacket. I try to cut them pretty long, maybe even cut two or three strips and stitch them together at the ends (they get sewn together with a 1/4″ seam allowance, right sides together, corners overhanging, all perpendicularly so when you open up to right sides the bias is straight). Then I just sew all of my bound seams in one sitting working from one very long bias strip.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The missing piece is 1″ wide by about 18″ or 19″ long. But you can just cut bias strips 1″ wide and you don’t need the pattern piece at all. Hope that helps!

LINK
    Sewnsew @Sewnsew

Yes, it helps very much! Thank you again Liesl. And I want to add how much I appreciate your personal attention. It is awesome to be able to come here on your forum and ask for help. And, furthermore, getting a response from you!

I’m loving it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.