Oliver + S

Bias trim the back yoke and front yokes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am sewing the top today and I sewed the gathered back to the back bodice with a 1/2 inch seam as well as the gathered fronts to the front yokes. I biased trimmed those seams and it just looks a little odd to me because it looks like the bias trim is only 1/4 inch wide and sitting on the edges then there is a space of 1/4 inch then my half inch seam. My 1/2 inch seam looks less than wonderful because of the basting thread traveling through it. Should I have trimmed all of the 1/2 inch seams a little narrower, then covered them with bias trim?

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Oh, and it says to press the 1/2 inch seam towards the bodice. So I am also looking at all of the gathering facing out with the bias trim on the edge. Maybe I should press the seam down instead. Just looking for ideas.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

yes, I think bias bound seams look a little better if you trim them first, then bind them.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I was attempting to answer this earlier, but ran out of time, sorry. The pattern piece is only 1″ wide, meaning your finished bias tape will only be 1/4″. You would then need to trim your seam allowances to 1/4″ if you want the bias tape to meet up with your stitching line for the seam. You can always make your bias tape 2″ wide for a finished size of 1/2″.

I don’t know what the intended look is, but a thin bias strip is quite nice on the inside of a jacket.

Carol

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I was looking around and found the link with a view of the inside of the jacket. Click on the picture of the inside view and you can see in this picture that the bias tape does not meet up with the stitching line, but rather has a space. http://www.oliverands.com/patterns/skirts/patterns5.phtml By your description, it sounds like you were doing things correctly. 🙂

I look forward to seeing your project.

Carol

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you all, yes I see the bias trim in the photo suggested above. I did see April’s jacket in another post on the forum but I could not see the seam as well as this photo. The first time I did sew the bias trim on the correct way. It looks messy because I basted at 3/8 then at 5/8, pinned the gather, basted it to the yoke with a 1/2 seam, then sewed a final 1/2 inch seam so I had a lot of visible seams. I just pulled out all of the basting stitches that were not caught up in that final 1/2 inch seam, removed the bias trim, trimmed the seam, then sewed on a new piece of bias trim and it looks a little better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.