Oliver + S

Back Placket and Neck Hole

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    JenGolds @JenGolds

Just wondering about step 2 in creating the back placket on the puppet show tunic. It says to fold over and press seam allow. of ONE back skirt placket 1/2″ to wrong side. Does this mean the other back placket isn’t folded over? It seemed natural to treat both sides the same, but now I find the neck opening a bit tight after completing the back placket and neck seam. I’ve reread it so many times but just need a bit of insight. Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Jen.

If you go to step 3 of Creating The Back Placket the second to last line reads ‘Repeat with the other back bodice and back skirt’.

If it feels a bit firm perhaps try horizontal button holes?

Good luck.

Nicole

LINK
    JenGolds @JenGolds

Thank you! That is what I ended up interpreting step 3 as referring to. I just found it just a bit unclear as to how far back I needed to “repeat” to. Unfortunately I think even horizontal buttons will still be too snug! I may just need to use a hook and eye to give that extra bit of space. Yikes! Thanks again!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yikes indeed!

The Puppet Show is a lot of work-too much for it not to fit!

Would it be possible to sew a ribbon loop at one neck edge that catches the top button on the other side?

You would barely notice it at the back and that could give you a nice bit of room.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

i found the neck opening tight on my baby in the smaller sizes… i actually ended up adusting the neck a bit (i lowered it) to make it fit… it fit well after doing that!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think I also found the neck snug when I made it last year. I believe it was the 12 month size. I think it’s partly the style on that kind of old fashioned top. Of its not too late, a smaller seam allowance around the neck?

LINK
    catherinel @catherinel

I made a size 2 for my two-year-old and found the neck fit just fine. I guess it just depends on the child. Do you have the peter pan collar on the shirt and have you understitched and everything? If not, you could try cutting the neck opening a tiny bit bigger, maybe 1/16th of an inch. Think of the neck opening as a circle. The bigger the circle, the bigger the distance around.

LINK
    JenGolds @JenGolds

Thanks for all the great advice! Next time I would cut the neck opening a bit bigger, but for now I am too committed to back up-just starting to hem the tunic. I think I will either do the ribbon loop (good idea!) or I’ll sew a fabric loop, that way I still have the button for a consistent look, but with an extra 1/2″. PS-I am working on the size 5 for reference.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My 8 year old has just handed hers on to a little friend.

The bodice is quite fitted,I have my fingers crossed that when it is all finished it will fit your daughter better.

Just a thought,did you trim and clip the neck seam?

That would give a little ease too.

I am hopeless,I read what others are sewing and I want to go and cut that pattern out!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m also thinking that if you leave the top button undone, no one will see it u der a little girls hair. I may have left hers undone last Easter for the 12 month size and her Rapunzel curls covered it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.