Oliver + S

Autumn/ winter – best patterns for girls?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Now don’t shout at me for even daring to mention Autumn and Winter when we are just going into late spring and summer, but…I am going to buy some Oliver+s patterns so that I will be able to carry on sewing for my two and a half year old granddaughter during those seasons. I thought it might be a good idea to get the older paper patterns (I prefer paper) whilst they are still available, as you lot have a head start on me. I currently have jump rope, apple picking, ice cream, bubble, 2+2, puppet show, garden party and seashore. Out of ones I don’t have, which would you vote for can be made in heavier weight fabrics? I’ve never sewn with knits or corduroy etc. but have been thinking about giving them a try if I can find a fabric shop locally with this type of fabric in patterns I like. Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks, Linda

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would be thinking the Playtime, it’s got long sleeves and the legging pattern! I have made lots of hopscotch dresses with long sleeves, in fact I don’t think I’ve made a short sleeve one! Field Trip Cargos and raglan! The raglan for a basic tee and to make a dress using these instructions https://oliverands.com/blog/2014/02/customizing-the-raglan-the-a-line-t-shirt.html

The cargo pants are fantastic for a girl! I’ve made them in pink and purple and they are the most worn item! You can use any bottom weight fabric including denim to make them look like jeans. But are very comfortable and easy to get on and off themselves for the toilet!

Lastly I would look at the Tea Party dress to be layered over leggings and tshirt or skivvy (turtle neck? ), I suspect the music box would work well too but I’ve not made that one.

Have fun, can’t wait to see what others suggest 🙂

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Ooohhh! They all sound exciting! Thanks Heidi!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Don’t forget the Sunday Brunch Jacket and Play Date!!

(And don’t worry! We have plenty of Mama’s here from the Southern Hemisphere! )

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Also, thanks for putting that link in for me, Heidi. I have not seen that as it’s a post before I joined here. I can see I am going to have to buy some knit fabric shortly just to try sewing with it. It always sounds difficult.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It is Winter here!

The After School set is a favourite of mine (I have tutes for top and trousers) the trousers are the nicest fitting tall&skinny bottoms I have ever sewn!

If you are sewing with corduroy (another favourite of mine) start with your narrower, pinwale type. The lush thick cord can be slippery to sew, lots of pins or basting for that!

I am still a moderate beginner with knits but I find if I take the notion of ‘quick sewing’ out of the equation I get a nicer result. I still press, interface, under stitch and take all the same care. Ball point needles and pins help too, and don’t forget to press wash at least twice. If you plan to tumble dry the finished garment make sure you pre-treat the fabric. Shrinkage can be heart breaking.

The School Photo dress is stunning, I have only made Summer versions so far https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/sets/72157625264559742/ but I have a few wintery ones planned

Happy sewing!

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

The Ice Cream pattern is actually one of my favorites for fall and winter– it’s great for layering with a long-sleeved tshirt, at least on my kid. I usually make it as a tunic, using the dress pieces without the bottom band. I’ve made it in wool, flannel, viyella, and pinwale cord. The Field Trip Cargos are great as flannel-lined pants (I usually leave off the cargo pockets), and I’ve combined the raglan tee with Playtime leggings for knit winter pajamas. The Nature Walk yoga pants are incredibly versatile and nice and comfy under snow pants– they were my go-to for preschooler last winter. They make up nicely in stretch wovens as well as knits.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Lovely ideas, ladies! I wasn’t feeling too enthusiastic about winter wear after making all these pretty summer items, but you’ve changed my mind. My granddaughter lives on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia and gets VERY COLD SNOWY LONG winters (my daughter thinks its hilarious when I complain about cold winters here in Wales! ) so you are very helpful. I take your point about slow careful sewing of knits, Nicole. At the moment I’m rushing a bit as I am flying to Nova Scotia this month, but in the winter I will have the luxury of taking my time and enjoying the learning. By the way, you are the first person I’ve ever conversed with from Australia like this and I’m finding it so strange that you are heading for winter and me for summer. Of course I know that is the case, but isnt it fascinating how the internet brings people together with a common interest from so far apart? Or is it just me, Luddite that I am?!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m in winter as well also being in Australia, and I have been making and thinking about winter clothes too 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Just to let everyone know it is winter here too – only it was rather warm today at 27 degrees c.

I think all of the above mentioned patterns are terrific for winter Knitting1. You would probably have more success with trouser sets than dresses but every girl needs a nice winter one. I should think the School photo would be a top pick. But she is still little so all the dresses with longer sleeves would do a d the. She can layer over the top if she has to go outside.

I am turning my attention to light winter/ early spring type clothing because it doesn’t look like we will have a proper winter this year – judging from the weather today!

LINK
    Greenpip @Greenpip

I think the music box jumper, particularly view B, makes a wonderful winter dress made up in corduroy or wool. My girls love theirs, usually worn over turtle necked skivvies.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh yes! I was jogging my memory for the name of that pattern. It would be perfect for sure.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Knitting1, my climate is very similar to Cape Breton (far northern New England), and though I do love cozy winter dresses, my daughter gets a lot more wear out of tunics or skirts layered over yoga pants or leggings in the deep of winter. The snow complicates things, as dresses are bunchy and uncomfortable under snow pants, which are a must for December through March! I’ve made her a lot of Swingset skirts which she will wear on the outside of her snow pants if a skirt is absolutely necessary (which is often, at least according to this preschooler!). It will get wet, but is easy to remove or change once inside. Flannel-lined pants are extremely useful in the fall before the snow comes. Enjoy your trip, that part of the world is so beautiful right now!!

LINK
    gy17 @gy17

The Book Report dress seems like a good option for winter as well!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I can’t advise for any type of hard core winter, but if she can wear jumpers in early Autumn, perhaps, the Music Box mentioned above is my absolute favorite. Easy, simple, but just so beautifully proportioned and clean. Fantastic staple in solid wool or corduroy, gorgeous with a crisp white blouse in a patterned fabric.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.