Oliver + S

anyone use jersey spandex knit on dress

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Ava @fitdoc

So DD wanted some lovely 4 way stretch knit. I am wondering would it work for this dress? it seems a tad thin for the top bodice part but drapes well for the skirt?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hello! The dress works great with knits, and I’ve seen lots of photos of it made with jersey, etc. I’ve even used sweatshirt fleece for it. If you check the Oliver + S Flickr group you’ll probably find lots of images, although I can’t comment on the weight of your fabric. You’ll have to be the judge of that one.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

It should work just fine. Things to think of: the neckline facing may show through too much with a thin knit. You could consider a full bodice lining layer if your fabric is really thin. Or maybe bind the neckline rather than use the facing.
    As it is, it should look fine so long as you use a lightweight interfacing on the facing. You don’t want the edge of the facing curling as that will look bumpy under the dress.
    Secondly, the weight of the skirt fabric may ‘lengthen’ the bodice due to its ability to stretch. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing – my daughter has two knit dresses (ruffle skirted versions of the School Bus Tee) in the same size and the one with bidirectional stretch still fits due to this ‘lengthening’ while the other is outgrown.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.