Oliver + S

Anyone made the Badminton Skort without the shorts (ie: just as as skirt)?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    suse @suse

Hi! I was a member oh, nearly two years ago now. After a hiatus from sewing I’m starting to pick it back up again. And thought I’d make my daughter the Badminton Skort, which I’ve never made before. Except that my daughter wants it just as a skirt without the shorts (of course, I could just use another skirt pattern, but she thought the scalloped edges were pretty. Who am I to argue with a three year old?). Which, in theory, should be easier, right? But the waistband has me stumped – I can’t quite work out whether it will work if I just omit the shorts from the pattern.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d be most grateful! (Especially as I put the cart before the horse and cut the fabric already. Although I did use cheap stuff, just in case).

Thanks!

Suse 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m afraid I haven’t made it myself but am almost certain somebody else has — though I think it was the shorts they made, rather than the skirt. You might have to make some adjustments when you get to the step of attaching the waistband, but if you’re up for doing some adjusting I’m sure the group here can talk you through it.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I’ve made it up as shorts, and redrafted the back waistband so that it is much wider. I fold it in half and stitch at the top to make the elastic casing. The bottom edge is finished on the inside with some narrow bias tape. I believe I looked at the Class Picnic shorts for construction & finishing ideas when I was trying to figure out how to adapt the waistband.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have made it multiple times without the shorts! It is a very quick and easy sew and looks fantastic. http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/7890904104/

LINK
    suse @suse

Oh – thank you so much everyone! Heidi – your photo was a great help, now I can visualise how the waistband sits. I’m three quarters of the way through my first one now, just have to assemble the waist band, so hopefully should have it finished tomorrow. Yay! Thank you everyone, you’re brilliant!

LINK

Glad it helped Suse! I love the waist band on this skirt, if I don’t just add a narrow elastic casing this Is my goto waistband 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Adding my two cents here… Yes I have because my daughter preferred the skirt only and the shorts only. Easy to do.

LINK
    suse @suse

Woo hoo! It’s done! Looks really cute too (I’ll admit, the spots aren’t my preference, but the three year old will think they’re adorable, and I never use good fabric on an untried pattern). I can see a lot more of these skirts in our future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113982173@N02/13118700574/

LINK

That is gorgeous! Love the bold spots 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.