Oliver + S

Anyone know of a tried and true cocoon dress pattern?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Heidi @kernheidi

Hi everyone! This is my first post to the forum. I have purchased some amazing linen which I plan to dye and would like to recreate a Rachel Craven cocoon dress.

I’m having the hardest time finding a similar pattern. It doesn’t look like a difficult style of dress to make, so I’m wondering if people just make their own patterns when they want to create a cocoon dress? If anyone knows of a place to start, I’d love the help!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Heidi. There are heaps of these type of dress patterns out there, especially among the indie pattern companies.
    For me, I’d start with the dropped sleeve bodice, so I’d use either the maritime tee, or the weekend getaway patterns for the bodice (for the weekend getaway, just cut on the Gold and omit the facings) then just drafting the length and forward side seam.
    There are tutorials on the Oliver + S website for a forward side seam (Liesl did it to the metro The) and lengthening a T to a dress (school bus T tutorials).
    The Building Block Dress Book is also really helpful for these kind of mods.
    If you want a pattern you don’t have to alter, have a search on Sewing Pattern Review. Tessuti patterns have this kind of dress shape, as do Style Arc. I can’t speak to their quality, I’ve heard the Style Arc instructions are disappointing.

LINK
    Holly Dumont @HollyD

Sorry, I just saw this. I’m very pleased with the Adeline Dress. It’s a Style Arc pattern, so don’t expect much help with the instructions. Only tricky part is the hem. i.e. don’t put it on upside down! I used an old silk curtain to sew a mock up for this. It fit RIGHT out of the envelope. 90% of the patterns I’ve sewn fit into the tried and tossed category. Although this doesn’t look great on the hanger, it’s terrific on. The length is right. I didn’t add pockets to the silk version, but I’m making this again for summer in linen. Yeah to pockets.

Attachments:
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.