Oliver + S

Anyone Familiar w/ Janome 4120QDC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Jane @jesims

I have been in the market for a new machine for a while. I just got an email from the local quilt shop that they will be offering the Janome 4120QDC for $650 until Monday. I did some online research and it seems like it is a good machine and would serve my needs. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience w/ it or suggestions of how to convince Hubby to buy it. 😉

Jane

LINK
    Sarah_G @Sarah_G

I got this model a bit over a year ago as a replacement for my mother inlaw’s old machine. I’d never had a computerized machine before, but I wanted to be able to sew automatic button holes, so I upgraded to the 4120QDC.

I think I got mine on special for $699 so that sounds like an even better buy (might help to convince your hubby)!

In general I’m really happy with the machine:

– it handles multiple layers of thick fabric very easily(e.g. hemming jeans)

– Finishing on button holes is very good apart from when dealing with multiple layers of thick fabric (when I should probably do a bound or hand stitched button hole!)

– I purchased the walking foot to go with the machine as I found that it was a complete necessity for knits and quilting.

– I like the electronic stitch selection although I probably only use 3-4 of the stitches regularly.

– Up/down needle finishing position is great for pivoting at corners (I think it comes pre-programed as up but it’s easy to change to down)

– Variable max speed (in addition to pedal control) is great for speeding up along long straight seams (slider at max + foot flat to the floor) and then backing off for the fiddly bits.

The only thing I don’t like is the annoying tone of the beeping sound it makes when you try to sew with the presser foot up or press a wrong button!

As it’s my first computerized machine I don’t have anything to compare it with but I’m still happy with it one year on. Sorry for the long ramble! If you have a specific question I haven’t answered let me know!

cheers,

Sarah

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Jane:

I guess I don’t have this particular machine, but I do have a much older Quilters Companion model. I absolutely love it! My wonderful mother gave it to me years ago as a gift. The one thing I have experienced with my Janome machines, which includes a serger, is that they seem to be good workhorses for me. I don’t have several children, such as Nicole, but I do sew pretty much all the time. It’s rare not to have a project going. I went several years with my sewing machine before I actually had it serviced, which is bad I know, but it just kept chugging away. I’ve sewn knits, wool coats and hats and all sorts of thick projects with it without fail, especially with a walking foot on the thicker materials. The only time I’ve had troubles is with thick topstitching thread and getting the tension correct, which I understand I’m not the only one who has that issue.

For the price they cannot be beat in my mind or obviously my mothers’ and she’s been sewing all her life. Good luck and it sounds like you’re being offered a wonderful deal that doesn’t come around that often. Take care!

Rebecca

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I have the 3160 which is a model below yours and I paid $750.00 for it 2 years ago. This particular model had problems with the bobbin, but the warranty on it has been excellent. I’ve sewn all kinds of fabric with it with no problems. I’ve put 16 layers of linen through it, it was slow going, but it did it.

My husband likes tools and technology so he’s pretty easy to talk into a new machine.

Good Luck Jane!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Thank you all for your input. I think Hubby might be on board especially since I have been eyeing much more expensive models. This will save him significantly. My machine is currently an 8+ year old Singer that was about $100. I works, sort of, but I am getting more and more frustrated with it. Honestly anything at this point would be an improvement.

Jane

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

It will be so nice to sew on a machine without all the frustrations!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Hubby took me this morning to buy it! I am cutting out a Roller Skate pattern now, so I can try it out. So EXCITED!

Jane

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Congratulations!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.