Oliver + S

Amount of ease for sleeves

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Dear Liesl, or anyone who knows abt these things, I would like to know how much “ease” has been designed into the sleeve of this pattern. I really appreciate that the finished length from the CB has been provided but I’m not sure how ease should be allowed on top of the child’s arm measurement. Anybody??

Have just traced off a size 2 and size 3 from my new Book Report pattern, and my mind is humming with fabric possibilities to use! I love the paper/clear outlines of the pattern pieces. My previous O + S pattern outlines are not as easy to read so I applaud the “improvement” Thank you for whoever is responsible for this.

Thinking of lining the back skirt section – this will eliminate need to roll/sew fiddly hem, and provides extra protection for the garment from the unspeakable things small children can “sit” on/in. Just thought I’d pass that on.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Hi needlewoman,

I’m not sure what you are asking with regard to ‘ease’ in the sleeve. Are a you asking how tight loose the sleeve turns out to be or are you asking how to ‘ease’ in the sleeve into the armhole of the garment? or are you asking how much longer should the sleeve be than the child’s arm measurement?

I haven’t made it, but maybe if you wouldn’t mind clarifying your question maybe we can be of more help.

Good luck

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi Heidi,

thanks for responding to my question; sorry it wasn’t clear what I was asking about. I would like to know is how much extra length has been designed into the book report’s sleeve over and above the child’s actual arm measurement. I have measured the girls’ that I’m sewing for, and the pattern provides the “finished” sleeve measurement but I’m not sure how much extra ease should be present. Eg. if for Size 3, the child’s arm measurement (taken with the arm bent, of course) is 16 3/4″, how much extra should the finished sleeve of the garment measure? (The pattern says that the finished length is 16 3/4″) but that doesn’t to leave much extra length for growth, does it? If you can help, I’d be grateful.

LINK

Thanks for clarifying that, it now makes sense. Unfortunalty I haven’t made and don’t have the pattern.

Maybe if your really worried about the sleeve length add a little to the cuff so it can be turned up now and turned down later without affecting the fit of the sleeves elsewhere. Hopefully someone else can help too.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Dear Heidi, thank you for your suggestion; it’s a good idea. When making a new pattern for the first time, I find that after I’ve done my best to trace/alter the pattern to fit the intended wearer, I just have to suck it and see! Every designer has different ideas, and sometimes you just don’t know until it’s done. I’m handicapped because both the girls I’m sewing for, live interstate so I can’t try on muslins or fit things as I go. Speaking of fitting, I’ve just realised that the BR I cut out for the 2 yr old may be too big for her. Her measurements are closer to an 18mth’r than a 2T. So I think I might sew it up with “generous” half inch seams so she doesn’t look lost in it but so it fits for a while. Luckily, the kid lives in a climate that’s cooler than average, and is likely to be wearing something underneath and/or wearing it for longer this year than she would in warmer parts of the country.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I don’t know if this is the correct way but I read the pattern directions to see how many inches the hem is and then measure from the top of the sleeve to the end of the sleeve, subtract a half inch for the seam allowance and subtract the hem inches and that is how long the sleeve will be. If her arm is longer then you can add length at the half way point between the underarm and wrist according to http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html

LINK

needlewoman, If you make it and it’s bigger they can always grow into it!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Thanks all for your help; I feel a lot more confident abt making up the pattern; as you say, kids will always grow into things – eventually, and the mother of the two year old told me this morning that she’s happier if the dress is bigger than smaller. The material I’ve cut out for the smaller BR is lovely, and I look fwd to posting a photo when it’s finished. Meanwhile, the 6 yr old’s dress using the LIttle LIsette 2063, is coming along nicely.

Thanks by the way to those who posted abt buying corduroy. I never knew that that the “wales” in corduroy were counted, and it was a great help to read that 21 wale is the fine one. The shops here only ever describe it as jumbo, medium or pinwale. Very useful to know for future purchases, as I’ve always liked using cord for kids’ clothes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.