Oliver + S

Am I ready for 3 scissors?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I just bought a couple more patterns, and I have my eye on a couple more after that. I have completed two hopscotch dresses and a set of bedtime story pjs as well as a few things from LTTS. Am I ready for a 3 scissor pattern?

What would you say the difference is between 2 and 3?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Maggie, most of the 3 scissors patterns aren’t really so difficult. They either have a lot of pieces or just take more time. Sometimes there will be a slightly tricky step here or there, but if you’re willing to be patient and tough it out I think you’ll be fine. Try a few 2 scissors patterns if you’re not sure, and you can always refer to the slightly-out-of-date syllabus if you need a little guidance (I should probably add the newer patterns to this list!).

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/09/learn-to-sew-with-oliver-s-version-2.html

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Maggie, I inadvertently started my Oliver + S sewing journey with the 3 scissor patterns and I’d only sewed one or two garments before then! So I say go for it. There might be some fiddly steps (I still remember sewing those puppet show sleeves in the 6 month size with my first Oliver + S pattern) but the instructions are always so well written.

I’ve alway wondered what might make a pattern a 4 scissor rating?! Certainly when I sewed the bias binding on my overly thick messenger bag at midnight with the light blown on my sewing machine, that was 4 scissor difficulty (but all my own fault!)

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think it is a matter of taking time to read the instructions and not assuming anything!

Depending on which pattern you have in mind Maggie,I have blogged several as tutorials if that is any help.

Good luck!

~Nicole~

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I did my first 3 scissor pattern (the Playdate dress) a couple weeks ago and it wasn’t bad at all. I was a bit intimidated by the third scissor, since previously I’d only done 1- and 2-scissors. But I found that the third scissor just brought the necessity for a little extra care. I couldn’t rush through the yoke if I wanted it to look nice. To be honest, I actually found the 2-scissor Badminton Top more fiddly than the Playdate (also I found Nicole’s tutorial very helpful in constructing the dress). So I think you could do it.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, I agree! I think the Badminton Top might actually be 3 scissors, but since the skort is easy I thought the pattern averaged out to two scissors.

To answer your question about 4 scissors, I think maybe a suit or a shawl collar with welt or besom pockets might warrant a 4-scissor rating. But I’m not sure we want to go there. Maybe someday?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Maybe for a special anniversary? 5th? 10th?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I want to go there! A special edition Oliver and S pattern.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, I don’t know about this. I’ll give it some thought. The real challenge, I should tell you, is that it’s going to be hard to sell anything with 4 scissors. So I’d need to get it past the money guy. The six of you who would buy a four-scissors just won’t support the enormous expense involved with developing a very complex pattern like that! But we’re working on some other really fun and exciting project ideas, so never fear; I’ll have something interesting for you no matter what.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I’m totally in for a 4 scissor pattern. Welt pockets – bring em on!!!!!

You can’t have ratings 1 through 4 if there’s never a 4 – that’s like saying the grades in a class range from A to F but never giving an A!! (Or an F for that matter!)

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Ha ha! We’re all up for it now, but I’m just imagining the moans when it comes to the sewing after midnight with a 4 scissor pattern! I should stay well away from this as I’ve no idea what a welt or a besom is…. 🙂

(I’d probably buy it though)

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Welt pockets sounds great! I was wanting to try them.

If you have four scissors on the pattern backs you must have a four pattern for sale. 🙂 I am up for the challange too!! (and look forward to when they are for sale!)

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Ha, or just take the 4th scissor off all future printings. And if you make a really hard pattern, add the 4th scissor on. 🙂

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

The fact that there are 4 scissors and the hardest pattern has a 3 scissor rating gives us confidence. I can’t imagine that welt pockets could be that hard. I like welt pockets and would like to try them. My mom was telling me that when she was young and sewing that she made all bound buttonholes. I bet that took forever.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Haha, Liesl, “the six of you”. There would be gracious plenty more than six, but point taken. Maybe a special order pattern or two rather than an entire run? That could potentially put a little more of the cost in our hands while simultaneously building excitement over a “once in a lifetime” pattern from O+S?

Regarding the scissors, if you’re ready for the jump give the school days coat a try. The lines are simple and the instructions straight-forward. This is a pattern that truly is about a time commitment to produce great results (like each of the others, but more straight lines, in my opinion). I think the jump rope is a great one to start with as well. The placket instructions are fantastic and leave you feeling such accomplishment. Go for view B first. If you feel like you need a little practice before managing a 3 scissor placket give the apple picking or music class a go. If you follow the instructions and take your time I think you can do it. And, as someone mentioned, find Nicole’s blog.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.