Oliver + S

advice on serger

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

Thanks Enbee for your input.
    I just looked up your model serger and it seems to have all the features I use in my price range.
    Have you tried using the rolled hem feature on your machine? I do rolled hems quite a bit and if it’s as automatic as the description, then that’s a bonus.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

The first server I used was very similar to the Janome800D, it was the first server my Mum bought back in the mid 1990’s. We sewed everything on it 🙂 and I still have and wear a number of the jumpers (sweaters) that we made.
    I used this serger to do a rolled hem on my wedding veil. It must have been a fairly easy change over as I wasn’t living at home and we had never previously used the rolled hem function. I managed to do a very nice rolled hem on my wedding veil in an afternoon including working out how to change it over to do a rolled hem.
    If it’s a similar serger it was a fantastic work horse. I currently have a slightly more expensive Janome, it has a slightly easier lower Looper threading, and one of the reasons I chose the Janome was because of how well the one we had growing up worked!

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Deb, I haven’t. I’m willing to give it a shot tonight (US Mountain time zone) and take some photos of my raw novice attempts!

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

Heidi:- thanks for your advice and experience with a Janome serger.

~D~

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

i got a deal awhile ago on a Brother 1034 and have no complaints… I wouldn’t buy a Brother sewing machine, but this serger and I get along just fine. It has made working with knits and spandex such a breeze, I can crank out a new t-shirt, or leotard for dd in about 30 minutes.
    It makes rolled hems in both fine and bulky fabrics, and blind hems too. I don’t do zippers on it — that makes me too nervous.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I played around with blind hems last night. Having never done them before, I’m not sure what the typical overhead for switching a serger into blind hem mode is, but “automatic” is probably a bit of an oversell. Assuming you already have the right number threaded, here’s the process:

Shorten the stitch length. If using the two-thread rolled hem, add the adapter to turn the lower looper into a spreader (pretty straightforward – the extra piece lives in the cloth plate compartment). This isn’t necessary for the three-thread rolled hem. Flip the stitch finger switch from S (serge?) to R (rolled?). There’s also a knob to change the stitch finger position – to be honest, I’m not sure what I was supposed to do with this knob, but it seemed to work fine regardless of where I’d set the knob. Adjust the tensions to the levels recommended in the manual. Then it’s just serge as normal.

Like I said, I’d never done this before. I tested both the two-thread and the three-thread rolled hem settings. Going from my default mode (4-thread mock stretch) to the two rolled hem settings (quick test sew for each), and back to 4-thread mode that worked as usual took maybe half an hour. Actually sewing the rolled hems was effortless. The two-thread version felt a little better (less stiff), but using the spreader made it a little more of a pain, and the three-thread version looked neater. That may have been operator error, though.

I hope this is helpful! I’ll post pictures of each, too.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Two-thread rolled hem, then three thread. The fabric is a quilting cotton, and all threads are standard polyester.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Enbee.
    LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

Reeni: Thanks for your info on a Brother serger. People who have that model seem to like it just fine.

Enbee: Thank you so much for taking the time to not only test out a rolled hem on your machine but also post photos. Much appreciated. It sure helps when people share their experiences with their machines, so now shopping for one will be much easier. Again, thanks!

~D~

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.