Oliver + S

advice on lining

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    wendy @wendyls

I’m going to be making the school photo dress soon and don’t have much experience working with lining. The dress will be made from a cotton flannel. I’d prefer to stick to natural fibers and am wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My concern with using a light cotton lining is that it might cling to the flannel. It also seems a shame to have it soft and cozy on the outside but not the inside. I’d appreciate any input! Thanks!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I have this pattern, but haven’t made it yet so shooting from the hip here… If the lining is stitched in place at the hem and arms wouldn’t that prevent it from sticking to the flannel and causing problems? I bet it’ll be very lovely in flannel. Don’t forget to post pictures.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I completely agree with you Wendy!

Why make a silk,cotton or wool dress and line it with a ”plastic bag”? There are some very good lining ”silky” fabrics though,”bemsilk” is a little dearer but seems to breathe more.

I use a cotton rich poplin as it doesn’t crease as much,its very inexpensive and I have not had any clinging problems with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/5038148397/

I love sewing this dress! I was on such a high when I finished it I emailed the designer!

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Thank, Nicole. I’ll look into the cotton rich poplin. I may even just try with a cotton. If it is indeed stitched down at the hem and arms then clinging shouldn’t be a concern, should it? I actually just received some rayon lining that I’d ordered online but can’t bring myself to use it. It’s such slick, strange stuff. Personally, I have a hard time with fabrics that don’t breathe and I also like to make my daughter’s clothes as comfortable as possible so that she actually enjoys wearing them. Not that she does wear them; this is the kid that won’t wear anything but pajamas at the moment! I was hoping that the soft fleece would seduce her…

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Just popping in for a minute. I live where it gets very cold at times. 😉 I use linen for all my slips and petticoats, and use it often for my linings. With our dry climate, I get cling when it comes to batiste and quilters cottons and tights of any kind. My solution has been linen and it works beautifully. In hot climates, it wicks away sweat, making you much cooler as well for summer use.

When using it for slips and such, I make it shorter than the garment as linen has the natural tendency to ‘grow’ as you wear it. 🙂

Happy Sewing,

Carol

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Thanks, Carol. I never thought to use linen and will definitely keep it in mind. It’s surprisingly hard to come by at my local fabric store, though. Do you happen to have any suggestions for Canadian fabric retailers that sell on-line? 🙂

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Here is a BC seller. He’s wonderful to do business with. His prices and linen are very comparable, when you add in shipping costs from the states. http://www.atexfabrics.com/ Ask for swatches as he has lots and lots of colours. 🙂 Are you familiar with the different weights of linen? I like the handkerchief to a medium weight linen, depending on what I am doing, so that would be about a 3 oz to 5 oz weight. I no longer have that sticking to my tights or fabric now that I use the linen. My cotton batiste always stuck to my other cotton fabric or might tights….frustrating. I will also add that linen cuts down the static shock as well…which is something we deal with here in the Calgary area…very dry in the winter. 🙂

Carol….who is busy getting ready for a wedding. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.