Oliver + S

Adding straps to the reversible bucket hat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Maryanne @Maryanne

I have just made a bucket hat for my cheeky one year old. There is no way he would keep a hat on if it didn’t have straps on it. I have worked out a way to keep the hat reversible but also have straps. I used buttons and straps with button holes. I have described it in detail here with some pictures to help – http://www.sewtogether.com.au/1/post/2011/03/oliver-s-reversible-bucket-hat-with-a-little-addition-attaching-straps-to-a-reversible-hat.html

I hope you find it useful!

LINK
    daisygirl78 @daisygirl78

What a smart idea, thank you!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Thank you! It’s windy here so even by 3 & 5 yr olds need straps or the hats go flying. I figured I would have to give up having them reversible if I added straps.

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

At one point, my girls had a reversible bucket hat that had a buttonhole for the strap to go through to make it reversible. So, one side had the strap sewn on and the other would access the strap through the button hole. It was very ingenious! I’ll have to see if I still have the hat since it was, um, something like 7 years ago. Maybe something good will come out of hording! LOL

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Thanks for sharing! I am going to have to do this for my 7 mo old!

LINK
    Missymoo @Missymoo

Thanks for the tip! I just finished the hat for my nearly 5 y/o daughter to wear on our summer vacation. We’ll be taking some hikes and straps will help keep the hat in place!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

very clever! thank you for sharing

LINK
    oversewn @oversewn

Hi all!

I have made two hats so far – love them- but we need ’em tied around here as well.

I haven’t attempted this yet, but my plan was to put in small metal grommets on either side of the hat and then run some twill tape/ribbon/sewn bias (12″ or so)through the grommet with a knot at either end. Reversible with ties! I will post if I get a chance to try 🙂

Happy Monday!

Raven

LINK
    Northern Mama @Northern Mama

I have just completed my first bucket hat and I added some straps. During the step of sewing the cap to the brim I added some straps at the seams (ensure they are right sides together if you want matching straps). I made the straps reversible as well by sewing in a buttonhole 1/4 inch from seam. That way the strap can be on either side. I can post pics if that would be helpful.

Happy sewing!

M

LINK
    scampbell712 @scampbell712

northern mama–i was wondering how on earth i was going to add straps and keep this thing reversible…i am sure i wouldn’t have come up with something as cute and practical as you did! thank you for posting for us 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.