Oliver + S

Adding in-line pockets

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I’ve added patch pockets to the Sleepover pants once, but I’d really prefer in-line pockets this go-round (matching Dad/son PJs for Father’s Day). I’m planning to use the Art Museum pockets and am inclined to split the pants at the existing pattern notch. Or should I split the pattern closer to the pants front instead? Since the whole waistband is gathered I’m having a tough time figuring out how to measure where the side seam would be.

Any ideas? Or am I overthinking this, and splitting them in half will be fine?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sorry, what do you mean by in-line pockets? We cover lots of different pockets and pocket construction in the Building Block Dress book. Does that have what you need?

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Hi, Liesl – I mean pockets that use the outside of the pants as the outer layer and have a pocket bag? The kind that aren’t patch pockets? Sorry – I’m not sure of the correct terminology, clearly!

It’s not the pocket construction itself that worries me (I’ve drafted new pocket shapes before), it’s where to divide the one-piece Sleepover pant pattern into a front piece and a back piece, so that the pockets don’t wrap awkwardly around to the back of my son’s legs. Does that make sense?

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Enbee.
    LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I haven’t finished pant construction yet (I still have to attach the waistband), but so far, splitting the pants piece at the notch on the waist edge seems to have worked, and the Art Museum pockets went in with only a little futzing.

LINK
    Nancy @NancyH

Hi Enbee, the term that I’ve seen and heard used for the pockets you’ve described are “in seam” or “on seam” pockets.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

@nancyh, that makes sense! Thanks!
    Finished the pants – no problems with construction, and the pockets are just what I wanted:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.