Oliver + S

add a placket?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    elamom @elamom

I was wondering whether you could add a placket and buttons to the top to make it look like a rugby shirt; perhaps using the placket from the jump rope dress? Anyone think that would work?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I have not looked at the instructions yet, but I wonder if Liesl’s wonderful placket design for the Swingset top would work in conjunction? Just guessing at this point, but maybe?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not seen this pattern yet , but in the past I have converted tops to rugby’s by the use of inch wide cotton webbing tape . Leave the front pattern plain and re cut your slash off centre by 3/4 ”( other wise your buttons won’t be centered

You would omit the front facing, attach the tape to the front placket with your machine foot far right ( as if you are attaching a zipper) right sides together . Sew with a tiny stitch ( stitch length 2 or less).

Press to shape, so you have a bottom placket ( the webbing ) and a top placket ( the top with webbing underneath)

Press webbing placket seam to the top and top stitch, stopping at the bottom of the placket

Press the placket flat and topstitch all layers at the base of the placket.

Check this goes over the child’s head before attaching the collar, if it is too firm you can trim a little from the neck allowance and add that to your collar.

I then attach the collar to the inside , so your seams are exposed on the outside

I cover the seam with cotton webbing, not as wide as the placket , but a good width to cover the raw edges

Have a look at a purchased rugby for different finishes

Clear as mud ?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4547794642/

This is not a great photo, but the boy’s rugby is one I made, I hope this is some help.

LINK
    elamom @elamom

Nicole, I think I follow (sort of!). The pictures are what I had in mind. I’ll probably wait to see the top and fool around with the jump rope dress placket a bit – I was thinking of using twill tape or a heavier cotton for the placket. Thanks to both of you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.