Oliver + S

A little something for me too?!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I bought this great Alexander Henry Farmdale fabric, ( http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=94effd71-7637-4156-a190-86d3e3cda1ee ) but when I held it up to get input from my husband about which pattern to make from it for the Niblet he said – as I was thinking it – “I think that would make a great skirt for you!” sigh.

So, after using bread clips to pin it around me and some brief twirling in the mirror, I’ve decided that maybe I should make a skirt for myself from it. But! Why stop there? I can make another and the girl and I can match! (I can’t even believe these words are coming out of my mouth…this is so unlike me!)

Does anyone have suggestions for women’s skirt patterns? I’m envisioning a nice A line, to be worn now and in the summer months too. I think a Hopscotch skirt and coordinating black top for the Niblet. Good idea or should I just try to nap and reconsider when my brain isn’t so foggy??

LINK
    janimal @janimal

I have also been VERY tempted to go matchy matchy with my little one (while she will still let me!) and have been giving this some thought lately.

My idea is to have a skirt for me, but a dress for her. That way our clothing coordinates, but we’re not the same. My other plan was to make a solid knit top for me (easy) and use that knit with a cute print to make an outfit for her — so again, we coordinate and have some coordination of fabrics, but my outfit would be a bit more grownup and hers would be whimsical.

I need to figure this out before she realizes matching me is totally not cool at all.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

That’s good idea! I bought the fabric with intentions of making a Jump Rope dress. Then I got to thinking about a 2+2 dress. So maybe I’ll keep those on the table while I search for a skirt pattern that looks nice for both play and work.

LINK
    icicle @icicle

Sure, do it! You deserve fun fabric too. Of course, if you do decide to make both, nothing says you have to wear them on the same day if the matchy matchy is making you squirm.

Or, you could go the cheap route and make your skirt first, then cut it up when you tire of it. The nice thing about a-lines is you leave all that lovely fabric uncut and ready to repurpose.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

that is a pretty print 🙂

re skirt patterns – I’d suggest looking into Built by Wendy’s book Sew U. I found it at our library. There’s an a-line pattern in the back that can be customized to how you like. Heather Ross has an attractive wrap skirt in her Weekend Sewing book and I bet Amy Butler has something too. I have on my list of things to do a Wiksten skirt pattern that is similar to the hopscotch skirt. It’s not a-line but I really like it

here’s the flickr page – http://www.flickr.com/groups/wikstenpatterns/pool/with/3640071312/

I love to search flickr to see how the patterns turn out by other sewers

hth! katie

LINK
    LauraB @LauraB

Am I the only person that creates matchy matchy mummy and daughter looks COMPLETELY BY ACCIDENT? I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to change one or other of us because I’ve realised we are dressed almost identically!

Simplicity 9825 is a good basic A-line skirt pattern (http://www.simplicity.com/p-2615-misses-skirts.aspx). There are a load of reviews on http://www.patternreview.com.

Some people change the construction order and add the yoke to the front and back panels before stitching the side seams – means you can adjust the fit more easily.

The yardsale wrap skirt in Weekend Sewing is gorgeous, but check the errata in the Flickr group if you are going to make it – there are a few errors in the pattern.

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

Love that print! And I love that your hubby was looking out for you, too. Yes, you need to make a skirt for yourself. And one for the niblet, too. After.

I recently got a book from the library that I love, Sew What! Skirts. (The one for bags is awesome as well.) It has details on how to make your own pattern to fit. They have an a-line as well as many others. There is one that is Asian inspired that would be cute in that fabric.

Have fun!

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Oh my goodness- I was just thinking the other day that next spring I would like to to matching skirts for me and my 2 girls. 🙂

And no- I totally accidentally match my older daughter and me all the time. But I usually don’t notice until we are out and someone points it out to me.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I often co-ordinate our outfits , it makes for nice photos at family functions and one good load of washing when we get home.

Pretty print Mel, it would make a lovely skirt for both of you teamed with black ( or very dark charcoal ) tops.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Oh Mel, I love that fabric! I’ve got some that I’m going to use for – haven’t quite decided yet!!! 2+2, icecream – too many possibilities!

It will make a lovely skirt for you – maybe you could get some in the teal colourway for the Niblet? (this is really lovely too! I’ve got it on my wishlist!)

As for patterns – Amy Butler has one called “Barcelona” which I love but don’t have (I do have very very similar one called “Madison” by Little Bird Patterns, or you could try the pattern I made my skirt from – Make It Perfect Versatile Wrap – she’s Australian but think she sells pdf versions on etsy. I do have a nice a-line pattern, but I traced it from a Clothkit!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I’ve made the Amy Butler Barcelona skirt and it’s really easy to sew. I would recommend making a muslin or making the lining first, and then trying it on. I made my first one much too big, but my measurements matched the bigger size.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Thanks ladies! Justine, I have a bit of the teal too! I bought them at the same time. I have that one stashed away for a Swingset tunic come Spring! I just ordered more of the gray (along with 2 patterns!) from fabric.com so I’ll be sure to have enough for whatever I decide! I have kicked around the Ice Cream notion though. I think it would be beautiful with a nice golden yellow coordinating fabric!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Something textured or self print would be nice with it?

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Can’t wait to see the finished skirt!

I agree re the coordinating colour – but I don’t have any and am trying to avoid actually going to a shop to buy some – I don’t trust myself!

The teal will make a very pretty swingset (I haven’t got that pattern – yet!)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.