Oliver + S

1948 Original Simplicity Patterns Video

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I got a kick out of this charming and funny little video and thought I’d share it. I had to chuckle when the man narrator asked the woman “is that all there is to sewing a dress”? ALL?!!! I think she basted the entire thing together by hand before even starting to sew!

On a slightly different note, those impossibly tiny little waists renewed my determination to lose these last 15 “baby” lbs. I’m carrying around. Not that my 6 baby waist could ever come close to theirs………..

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids
    LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

That’s great!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

that’s hilarious!

I think lots of young women – and men too – would benefit from those old fashioned home economics classes, btw. Our schools tended to cut them out after second wave feminism, but in England where my hudband went to school, they made boys take them too. Would we have had such a mortgage crisis, for example, if more people learned how to budget and run a household? That Betty sure seems to know how to do a lot of useful things for a high school girl.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

That was a fun video to see.

However I believe their tiny waists had a bit of help from the Spanx of that time – corsets and stays.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I wondered about that, lattemama 🙂 I remember when my Mom wore a girdle, and discarded it in favor of control-top pantyhose……ugh to both of them! And my Mom likes to tell how Grandma would wear her corset throughout her pregnancies, can you imagine!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.