Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,191 through 5,205 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have finished four of the nurses capes but they are quite small so I have decided to make matrons using the LTTS cape pattern in red wool.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

They sound terrific Nicole!

I have the corduroy teaparty dress still to make but may have to put it aside to get on with a pair of dress pants, vest and shirt for Noah to wear to Chloe’s christening.

Then eventhough I did find something rtw, I want to use one of the butterick Lisette patterns to make and outfit for myself.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I took a break from O+s to finish up piecing the top of a baby quilt for my cousin. Now I just need to find backing (I have the perfect OOP fabric but do not have enough!!!!noooooo)

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

nothing at the moment as preparations for Easter (we celebrated last week) and my late-night sewing tuckered me out. Luckily the insomnia has abated a bit. I signed up for KCWC (next week!) despite my better judgment. My goal is to cut out and sew another Cosi swimsuit for my oldest during that week. The girls have also expressed interest in Badminton skirts but I need to take stock of their tops first and see what fabric would make sense. (I’m super-excited that they have expressed interest, though – I love the pattern but the only skirt I’ve ever made using it was not worn much).

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

The sewing machine shop fixed my machine the same day 🙂
    I want to do the washing and finish hemming my dress, on the coverstitch, before I go in and get it.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

@withloveheidie It is great that your machine was fixed so quick! I daren’t take mine in for fear of being without it for weeks.

@roundtheworldgirl
    It sounds like the lack of insommnia is a double edged sword, more rest but less sewing! I am thinking of signing up for KCW and just seeing how it goes, I’ve never actually managed the sewing yet…

I am making a vintage nightie and bloomer set https://www.flickr.com/photos/hjcoates/16969073560/. It calls for 5 yards of 5/8inch ruffled trim. I was envisioning a white cotton gathered broderie anglaise, kind of like this http://www.calicolaine.co.uk/white-simplicity-heart-anglaise-trim-t269.html

I can’t find anything the right width, and am torn between getting the trim I’ve linked to above, or getting something narrower that isn’t gathered and gathering it myself, maybe like this http://www.mjtrim.com/lace/20mm-scallop-and-eyelet-lace-edging#sthash.Om4jcvRU.dpbs All the trim I can find that size is really cheap looking nylon which isn’t right for what I’m making.

It goes round the neck so I don’t want E to be irritated by longer trim. Maybe I could by the narrower trim for the yoke and the gathered trim for the bloomers and hem? Any ideas or advice would be much gratefully accepted!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

So excited there is a new pattern being introduced on the blog! I have to get on with Noah’s trousers today and sort them out. I wanted to get started yesterday but we had a very very busy day dealing with people popping in and asking auestions and we all felt like we were running around like crazy people!

So today! Once Chloe is asleep, I plan to get in there and clear the table of all things beautiful babywear and get started on big boy trousers – and that means further enlargement of a beloved Oliver and s pattern. Muslin is a must for this one! Then I am hoping that by the end of the weekend I have either a completed outfit or one that is very nearly complete.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Creative roadblock. Roller Skate in dress or Tunic!!!!:????? I can’t decide. LOL I might have to make the dress, then trim the hems later.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I wonder if there is a way to make the dress but have a detachable portion to reduce it to a tunic? Wouldn’t that be fun to work out?

Up to my second muslin for the sketchbook shirt in size 12 with heaps of mods.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It has been a productive few days.
    I swopped mending, for a box of veg, so the Twins have been taking care of the meals with their a m a z i n g soups.

I finished the nurses capes, for ANZAC costumes, for Elsie’s teacher, made 28 draw string bags, for skipping rope storage, for Tildy’s teacher and today I sewed a pair of Bedtime Story pj’s as a last minute birthday gift.

Tonight I hope to glue together the Garden Party PDF. I pre-washed some stunning hot pink linen/cotton cloth for it, today.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I’m up to choosing the buttons for my first Hopscotch skirt, and have cut out two size 8 Rollerskate dresses. Say I’m you’s Garden Party dress has inspired me to try one for Miss 6 1/2 (recently finished the Lunch Box culottes, and a Badminton top for this child). Last December, I cut out a Hopscotch skirt for her but when I got it out last night, I think I’ve cut it too short. But I have quite a lot of the same fabric left, and the contrast fabric would work extremely well for the GP.

I’ve ironed up about 10 1/2 yard pieces of lovely roses and hearts fabrics (from Fort Worth Studio), and bought an appropriate amount of white poplin for lining. I’m planning as many Popover Sundresses in sizes 2,3, and 4 as I can make before the end of April. These sizes fit well on a half yard piece when it’s folded with the selvedges meeting in the middle, provided you use contrasting fabric for the yoke and straps. I’m reasonably confident they will sell at the Maytime Fair (in Melbourne) provided the weather is reasonably fine on the day. Nannas will love them. I also a couple of quilts on the go, and sent my aunt/godmother the two quilts I made her. The lovely autumn weather in Adelaide is perfect for sewing. Better push off, and trace off the Popover. I find that although I use good tracing paper that after about 6 times of using, I need to trace another one.

Really like your nurses’ cloaks, N, and all the lovely ‘Spring’ wear appearing in Flickr at present.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

In terms of sewing this week, it has been a complete disaster! I spent much of it trying to alter and fit a pair of trousers to my seemingly bulky nine year old son. Let’s just say I officially gave up on Tuesday! Because the last time I altered a pattern it worked. This time the time pressure got to me and it just WASN’t working. So we will HAVE to go to the shop and buy something (gulp) in the men’s section!

I have had a success though. I managed to widen (alot) the skirt from on of the latest Lisette patterns. And I must say it looks pretty good (even if I do say so myself) and it was dead easy to put together. The top on the other hand is the next thing on the list and I have just a few hours today to sort out this pattern and sew something that fits – upsizing on everything to fit this nursing mum!

So tonight it MUST be done and dusted because I drag three kids to Perth again tomorrow (yes a solo parent trip and I feel crazy) for the centenary Anzac parade (I would love to get to an actually service but there are of course no guarantees!).

Then next week I might be too exhausted and will have to take a sewing break. But if I feel the need I am going to have a really good look around for some suitable trouser patterns for this young son of mine – just so this mummy can feel a bit better about the fact he is growing too fast!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@justsewit, Burda do a range of patterns for ‘solid’ children. I like Burda, they are not O+S but they are not half bad.

I got my Garden Party PDF glued together, 25 minutes, start to finish.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@Nicole I found a terrific pattern on my last trip to spotlight but was surprised to have the saleslady tell me that she was sorry that it appeared they didn’t stock that one! You know you truly live in the sticks when one of the big four patterns isn’t even stocked at a major franchise!

I hope to take a trip to one of the city stores this weekend and find something of good value. If I have no luck the. The pride will have to be swallowed!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

One gorgeous (if I do say so myself) hot pink linen Garden Party piped with neon orange (from the awesome Britters) sewn and ready to be posted to the US of A.
    A sewing swop with Cindy the swimsuit queen, who made Tilly a swimsuit from scratch. She even designed the pattern.

Tomorrow I have some last minute costume alterations and then it is Trixie’s turn again.
    Yippee, pretty baby sewing.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,191 through 5,205 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.