Oliver + S

Sew Alongs

Gallery Tunic + Dress Sew Along

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi @Jessamyb, sorry for the silence! I’m not familiar with Pellon 906F, but for most fabrics (including double gauze) I use the lightest interfacing I can find. Many stores carry something that’s featherweight or called something similar, and sometimes you can even find silk chiffon fusible interfacing. The important thing to remember is that the interfacing shouldn’t change the hand of your fabric–it should still feel soft and pliable just like your fabric. If you can’t find anything light enough, you could consider using a very lightweight fabric instead. I love Mistyfuse for this purpose: http://oliverands.com/community/blog/2013/03/have-you-ever-made-your-own-interfacing.html

I hope that helps!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@lexilouwho, you can absolutely leave it sleeveless! A bias facing is a great way to finish a sleeveless armhole. I would only suggest that you check to be sure the armhole will be the right size–often when you make something sleeveless it’s a good idea to raise the underarm a bit so it’s not too revealing. I hope that helps.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@blacktabi: Oh, too bad! If you can carefully unpick the dart and shorten it a bit I think it will be fine. The darts do look a bit long in your photo. I hope it works. Double gauze is such a beautiful (and somewhat expensive) fabric–it would be nice if you could fix it. Keep us posted, will you?

LINK
    Vanähsa @vanaehsa

@blacktabi: ohh I also had this same issue with the FBA dart. Luckily I realized while I was doing the FBA on the pattern, so I could just redraw it. Still, it’s my first time doing any of this so let’s see how it comes out.

@liesl
    , I am sooo sooo excited. Yesterday I managed to catch up on the sewalong, and being my first time sewing anything like this, I think I am doing pretty well. I was scared of the collar, FBA, the neck opening and everything else, but the instructions are so clear that everything went really smoothly and without problems. I am really really excited haha… By the way, I hope you are enjoying your new life in Madrid! I am from Barcelona.

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

I would like to know if there is anything I should do in a different way as it is explained in order to make french seams in my gallery tunic. I have already made a gallery tunic and I had some trouble hemming it with the french seams. This time I wanted to know what to do before going with french seams again. Anyway, I have had zero sewing time this week, so I will have to catch up the sew-along… May be during the weekend.
    Thanks for your help!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@vanahsa, I’m so glad you’re excited! Keep us posted on your progress. And we love Madrid and Barcelona!

LINK
    Rachel Le Grand @nestfullofeggs

Good morning sew-alongers! Day 4 is now up.

LINK
    Rachel Le Grand @nestfullofeggs

@mariajsanroman was it the extra bulk when you came to the French seams when you were hemming that made it more difficult? If so, try clipping away part of the French seams near the hem (but not too much) so that when you are hemming there will be less bulk and make it easier to hem. Hope that helps!

LINK
    Jessamy @jessamyb

@liesl Thank you so much for your response! There is always so much to learn, and I did not realize that the interfacing should not really change the hand of the fabric. I used a much lighter interfacing (the 906 F I mentioned is a “shear weight”) than my first tunic, but it is definitely still too stiff. I’ve already sewed the side seams up, and when I tried on my tunic, the placket is definitely too stiff. (Why did I get so ahead of myself before trying it on?!) Now to decide what to do! I would need to deconstruct the whole garment to replace the placket, and I’m not sure my fabric will hold up to that…I am ordering some Mistyfuse for future use, thanks for the suggestion!

LINK
    Lexi @lexilouwho

Thank you! I love how mine is coming together!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@mariajsanroman, I love French seems too. They give such a nice finish, but they can indeed offer additional challenges. I’ll post a photo of a Gallery Dress I sewed. It’s dark here, so the light isn’t good but I think you can still see how I clipped into the seam at the dot to allow the two edges to separate for the hem. Does that help? As I recall, it’s really the only tricky spot for using French seams on this style.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Liesl Gibson.
    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Liesl Gibson.
    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Todd Gibson. Reason: Added image
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@jessamyb Oh dear. I’ll do a blog post about interfacing to explain it a bit more–I just realized we’ve never really covered it in depth, so that might be helpful to you. In the meantime, however, I think you could remove it from the front placket by just unpicking the final seams that finished the placket. Then you could tear out the interfacing (gently, of course) and re-stitch it without the interfacing. That would be better than leaving interfacing that’s too stiff, at least. Does that make sense so far? And if you haven’t sewn the collar yet you can still change to a lighter interfacing for that part, which is where it will be really important. Holler if you need more guidance in this, ok?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Mine is all finished and I am smitten with this pattern!! I can’t wait to share and make another one.

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

Thank you, Rachel. I’ll give a try.

@liesl
    , I don’t see a picture… It’s also dark for me, I also live in Madrid…!
    Thanks for your help. I hope I can catch up during the weekend.

LINK
    Lexi @lexilouwho

I’m not able to post photos of my project…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.