Oliver + S

Heirloom Sewing and Embroidery

Little Layette

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

I can’t help but think when I’m sewing the little layette (and I’m sewing it A LOT right now as almost all of my friends are having babies by the end of the summer) that it feels like a modern heirloom (contradiction, I know).

I’m making the bodysuit in a batiste which automatically makes it feel special and on certain ones I have been adding little handsewn details. Monograms on the chest when I know that name of the baby, shell hems for girls if I know the gender of the baby and trying to do an applique cord on a couple.

I want to learn how to make eyelet too. But I just don’t know where to start!

On another note, my sister is having a little boy this summer and I need to make a super special boy outfit. What things should I add for a little boy? Do you think it would be to hard to draft/add a peter pan collar? She loves little outfits with peter pan collars for baby boys.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made up the Puppet Show in white hailspot muslin for my baby before I knew what it was.
    I also think the Hide and Seek tunic would look gorgeous on a wee baby boy.

Do you have the Puppet Show? I wonder if that collar would fit?

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole.
    LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

I do have the puppet show, @motherof5! Yes I’ll definitely try that! The hide and seek would be adorable too! What color do you think? I’m so inexperienced at sewing for boys! Give me baby girl and I’m golden but I’m still learning to get my creative juices flowing for little boy things! Hopefully this nephew will help things along 😉

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would love powder blue linen with white, piped with navy.
    My son (nearly 18) wore frilly tartan shirts with navy trousers, which is possibly dated now but I do think a check or a tartan ‘mans’ up a baby outfit.

Learning Numbers circa 2000

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole. Reason: to add impossibly sweet photo
    LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

I definitely agree with that. I love a tartan. That is so cute and both ideas are adorable! I will definitely be adding those to my sewing list for my future nephew! Look at how little they are!!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes I adore tartan in general also (maybe it is the Scottish roots?) on boys particularly. I think that if you swap the button/snaps to the back and add tucks from the shoulders down to about level with the bottom of the armhole and also add a piped peter pan collar you could have an heirloom version of a boy layette shirt. I also like to have piping on the sleeve with a cuff – just add something extra and really makes it sing “boy”. Team this with a pair of pants in navy linen and you have a beautiful little outfit. Add a cap too for good measure especially if he happens to be a summer babe.

And I adore that photo @Nicole.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Oh yes! I love that idea too! This child is going to have a lot of outfits! Ok so this might sounds crazy but bare with me for a moment. What if I used the puppet show top and the tea party sunsuit bottom and modified them to mash together. It would have the collar, a line to add piping to the bodice and I could embroider the bodice with little sailboats (sister loved things with sailboats when we were looking at little boy outfits together).

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Ok quick update! I did mash up the puppet show and tea party play suit and I’m posting a picture of the results! I’m pretty pleased, except that the fabric I chose is pretty awful. But that’s what I get for trying to shop my stash. I guess I’ll just have to make some more. Also, I think I’m going to hand embroider some sail boats on the front. Is that too much?

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

I can’t seem to get the picture up there :/ I put it on my flickr so once I get to computer, I’ll put up a link

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That sounds so cute!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

No not too much at all! It would be adorable!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I want photos, (stamps foot)

😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.