Oliver + S

zipper closure?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I’m just throwing these thoughts out here because I love this pattern so much and I went to try this on Miss M recently and couldn’t get it to fit over her head. LOL seriously, what is up with her head?

I know the dress will still fit if the opening was larger. Is there any reason I couldn’t put an invisible zipper up the back up to the bib while maintaining the look of the button closure as patterned?

Any tips for adjusting the back pattern piece to accommodate this? I know how to install zips its just the changes I’d have to make to the pattern I need a little guidance from more experienced seamstresses! And while we are on this subject any ideas on how to add this AFTER the fact so I could still salvedge the dress she already has?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi J,

I have been nutting this over for a couple of hours….have you tried a larger seam allowance at the neck? Also leaving the back yoke open almost to the bottom?

I am sure you could alter the back for a zipper but I can’t think of a quick and easy way.

Hopefully someone else can help.

Sorry

N

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

N,

Thanks for the tip.

This happens to be the one I made almost a year ago and I always upsize the yolk to fit her head.she’s in the 99th % for her age but so petite everywhere else. She wears it well.

I think I actually traced two sizes largerfor the inner curve on this one 🙂 I’m not too upset if I can’t fix the one I already have made.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I haven’t made the playdate but I have added zips to the back of other garments. It looks like you could add a centre seam to the back dress piece and line it up with the opening in the back. Then insert the zipper in the centre back seam.

To alter the back piece (presuming it is cut on the fold) add 1/2″ past the fold line for the seam allowance (and to allow for the zip).

To modify the dress you have already made, could you add a back placket? sort of like Lisel did to the front of the Sew lisette continental shirt (http://www.sewlisette.com/blog/2011/09/how-to-continental-blouse-alterations/).

Or like this one http://everythingyourmamamade.com/2011/03/29/continuous-bound-placket-tutorial/

I am imagining the placket to go down into the main part of the dress back and maybe adding another botton or two to close the larger gap. I think you will also need to add the binding starting from the centre back rather than the shoulder if the dress has a back opening.

Good luck

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Ooh, those links give me some great ideas. I think when I have a bit more time (I’m currently sewing three other O+S patterns right now), I’ll unpick the stitching of the bib and ponder this some!

Thank you Nicole and Heidi!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have the same head issue with the playdate dress, but I’ve made it three times in the last year and I think i’ve conquered it. I use a larger seam a allowance at the neck, and I leave the yoke open down to the very edge. This gives me enough room to get it over her head. You could take this one step further and leave an additional opening in the the center back of the dress.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Meleliza, that’s a great idea too! So many options!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.