Oliver + S

Yoke not wide enough

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

This is the first O&S pattern I’ve had quite a lot of trouble with.

I got the leg pieces sewn together; but when I went to match up the yoke with each leg, I found that the yoke pieces were too short by almost 2 inches. I do tend to use narrower seams than are stated in the pattern–due to my quilting background, I lean naturally toward a 1/4″ seam and have to remind myself to leave more room when sewing garments. But that couldn’t have accounted for the large difference.

I added some more of my accent fabric and finished the pants, but I do plan to check to see if perhaps I traced the wrong size yoke.

Anyone else have this problem?

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

What size are you making? Can you put up a picture? I have made this a few times in different sizes and never had a problem.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Sonja, I think you may have answered your own question.
    As there are many seams that make the ‘body’ of the trousers, if you make all your seam allowances a bit narrow, the yoke will be too small.
    I think I did the same with my first pair.

An easy fix, if this happens again and you have topstitched your seams, is to add a bit of easing through gathering stitches, perhaps at the centre back and front?

If you do think it is the yoke piece, perhaps add a note to the pattern to remind you next time?

It is frustrating when things don’t match up, isn’t it?

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Here’s a picture of the yoke and of my seams (at the leg, where the side piece joins the bigger leg pieces). The pieces I had to add to make it long enough are much longer than even an error between 1/4″ seam and 1/2″ seam would cause.

Also, the rear pockets are REALLY low, comically so.

I made size 2T.

I’ll try this again in a lighter weight fabric, as so many people love this pattern. But it was a frustrating sew for me.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Accurate seam allowance is very important. Even though it is only 1/4″, that is 1/4″per seam and adds up quickly. Hope you give it another shot, it is a really great pattern.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I can hear your frustration and I am very sorry for it.
    I made a smaller size here http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/after-school-frolics-part-two.html
    This size seemed to be fine.

This is a curved seam which will need easing.

Please don’t lose heart. 🙂

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

After looking at your pictures, I think I put the yoke on upside down.

I did finish them up. They’llbr grubbies for gardening!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I hope that is it and they work well next time. I am sure your little one will look as cute as can be in ‘garden grubbies’

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I know the feeling, it’s so frustrating when you see that so many other people have made it so many times without a problem and you just can’t figure out what you’re doing wrong! That’s what’s so reassuring about the flickr group. At least you know it’s a fixable problem, if you can just figure out what you’re missing. What a great bunch of gals here, too, helping you spot your mistakes — you ladies are the best! Sometimes it’s just a question of having somebody rephrase or pop up a photo that shows the step that wasn’t clicking. Still need to make these, will be sure to be careful about my seam allowances and getting the pattern pieces the right way up. Thanks gals for the heads-up!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.